J. Tomas Lopez at University of Miami

J. Tomas Lopez

Number of ratings 52 / Average Grade:  A Submit a correction

4/6/14

MLS

Professor Lopez is the best teacher I have ever had in my entire college career. His classes are interesting and his perspective is refreshing. He makes me want to enroll in school again full-time. Do not leave UM without taking one of his courses.

4/4/14

ART510

Dr Lopez makes me want to work harder. If he were to ever tell me the work is up to minimum professional standard I would cry. He really is the best teacher I have ever had.

9/27/13

ART 510

Tom is the best. His class is a perfect mix of esthetic, technical and critique. I only with the school of com could have someone this good. Halfway into the semester I have learned more than in three years in other classes.

9/23/13

MLS 699

Dr Lopez is amazing. He lectures without any notes. He spins a thesis from point A to point C with interesting spin-offs. Just when you think you're lost he links all the elements and you are left awed by the beauty of his argument. bravo

5/13/13

ARH 107

Very knowledgable. Treats students with a lot of respect and makes the class go by fast. Highly recommend him!

5/8/13

ART 410

One of the greatest and most challenging classes I have taken all 4 years at UM. His classes are thought-provoking and extremely interesting. His critiques are so informative, he spends a lot of time not only discussing the print quality and technical specs but commenting on the concepts and thought behind the photos. Really a brilliant teacher

4/24/13

ART 511

Best Prof at UM. Will miss his great crits.

7/25/12

ART410

Dr Lopez is the best ever. I don't want him to know that all the women in the class have crushes on him. He is one hot prof.

4/11/12

ARH107

How often do you find a teacher who is rated as being quite hard but still has such amazingly positive feedback? only with this guy. He not only knows what he teaches, he's lived it. Half the time he is telling personal anecdotes about the photographers you are learning about. Good luck not falling under his spell.

12/27/11

ARH505

I took Dr Lopez' this past semester. I really learned so much. I am applying to grad school in art after getting my degree in architecture based on his passion and knowledge of art. I want to know as much as he knows.

10/10/11

ARH505

Best Art History class ever. Best part is when he says - as a side note - and proceeds to tell an anecdote of a famous photographer that he knows as a friend. He's better than the textbook.

10/6/11

Phil001

Have taken several photography classes with Tom at the Naples Phil. They have been an inspiration to my photography. He makes the complex easy.

9/28/11

ART510

Wow. They said he was awesome. He is. They said he doesn't praise much. He doesn't. They said he would make me crazy. He does. I cannot wait for the next class, the next lecture and the next critique.

8/26/11

ART510

No faint praise from Prof Lopez. He leads by example. He is never satisfied with first results of either his own work or ours. When and if he says "not bad" or "its ok" he means you succeeded. I have learned to value his understated approach as brilliant. Thank you

8/22/11

ART511

Dr Lopez uses a mix of philosophy and contemporary art to stimulate the students. Its never great just 'not bad'. It instills in us a sense of the process rather than the success. I have learned what it is to be a working artist.

8/17/11

ARH505

Highly recommended. If you're not an art major and you want to be highly entertained, take him!

5/25/11

ART512

One of the best professors in UM. Humorous, good at teaching, expert in his specialty. And very friendly and fun in the class.

12/11/10

ART512

He is the absolute best. Is there anything else to say? After four years of really bad teachers I find a genius. Prof Lopez doesn't lie... if the work is not up to standards - he tells you. When and if he tells you the work is good... celebrate. He is like yoda - lets you discover the force.

12/5/10

ART510

I just had a solo show for Art Basel. I want to thank Prof Lopez for giving me the courage and skills to do it. My family got to meet him and he was so charming. He also complimented me on my work. It made me cry. Thank you for making me work so hard to achieve this success. I can never repay what you have done.

11/28/10

ART511

Really the BEST. Makes us all work to be better, to never settle for the first effort and to keep trying different solutions to the problem.

More Fine Arts professors at University of Miami