in Iowa State University that teach Religion Edit
at Iowa State University, Ames, IA
are you Hector Avalos?

05/21/2013
good
Religion 321 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

My favorite professor I ever had - and that is saying something! If you are interested in the Bible, it would almost be a sin not to take this class - he is a remarkable scholar and person. The class is tough at first but stick with it - it gets much better after the first few weeks. Wish I would have taken Dr. Avalos' Old Testament class too...

04/27/2011
good
Relig220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I loved this class! Dr. Avalos is a fascinating professor. If there is anything you ever wondered about the Bible, this is the class to take. The class consists of Bible readings and discussion. I highly recommend studying with this great scholar!

12/25/2010
good
RELIG220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Avalos is the most knowledgeable professor I have had at ISU. He is very intimidating the first few weeks, but stick with it. I never had a problem with the "bias" other people have mentioned and have never learned more in a class.

11/12/2010
good
Relig321 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I have never met a professor with a more in depth knowledge of his subject. He has never been offensive or demeaning in class. Yes, he is an atheist but he never teaches from only one point of view. His class can be difficult at times since there are a lot of readings. His English is perfect, idk what some of the other people were talking about.

09/30/2010
RELG220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Avalos is very biased and intelligent. He does provide more than one viewpoint, however he seems to miss or mistake obvious possible explanations about the materials (Bible.) Whether he does this intentionally, or on purpose it is hard to say. I feel he is a good person, but I feel bad for him because he seems to harbor a great anger towards some things that happened during his childhood church experience. Told us stories that confirmed his bitter recall of those times. Has a good heart tho.

07/03/2010
good
RELI322 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Great life-changing professor! uuuhhh... if you don't take this class, you are doing a great misdeed to yourself! This is what you would hope for as a dreamer, and get it at ISU.

07/19/2009
good
Relig322 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Great Professor, he does a great job of telling all views of an issue or subject. While not pointing out which one is "the correct" view. This leads people to see him as anti-religion. I know that during my time in his class I was witness to many people gaining a broader view of the bible.

02/03/2009
good
Relig342 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He's really scary the first few weeks, but that's only to scare off the cats that don't want to be there. His classes are totally worth it in the end.

11/06/2008
good
REL220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I took Intro, New & Old testament classes from Dr. Avalos. He is very smart, and has most of the Bible memorized. Even on the first day he has everyones name memorized. Class is INCREDIBLY easy. There are two tests and both are simple. He is EXTREMELY biased against all religion, but if you know that going in, he makes you think.

10/21/2008
good
relig220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

This was my favorite class. He really has the bible memorized! Class always keeps you on your toes, but if you do the readings before class your fine. Take this class if you can!