in University of Oregon that teach Journalism Edit
at University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
are you Carl Bybee?

01/15/2014
good
Comm Ethics Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

He cares about the students and honestly wants you to learn as much as you can while you are there. Grade is secondary. Carl is earnest and kind, and will help people achieve their best.

03/05/2013
J412 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

He was the WORST professor I had EVER had. I honestly did not learn anything despite trying to pay attention. It truly didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about at all. His rants last forever and have no informational value whatsoever. AWFUL.

11/13/2012
good
J412 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Took Cons Cult Enviro. Carl dances to the beat of his own drum--or bell. He often brought in a meditation bell and sounded it at the beginning of class. He is a brilliant guy. You have to have an open mind in any class with him and be willing to learn. I'm moderate, I hate left (and right) extremism and never felt like he was out of line.

12/26/2009
good
J412 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I took Media Literacy from Bybee during zero week and it was great. It was pretty free-form in that we never followed the agenda, often ending up on long philosophical rants. Yes, he leans to the left, but he'll hear out anyone's opinion. He gets you thinking and he allows students to get him thinking--everything is totally discussion-oriented.

01/06/2009
J388 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I do not know why students like this guy. Hands down the WORST teacher EVER!!! I purposely would read during class, not paying attention at all, and I still pulled an A. So I guess if you want an easy A, this would be the right teacher. Otherwise, most boring professor in the nation!!!

11/26/2008
good
J314 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Carl is a brilliant man with quite a personality. I guess if you're a Republican than you can keep being close minded, otherwise, listen to a man that goes beyond a normal class. He exicites to think. Every person in the room had a voice. The class was moreabout learning and less about making the grade.

04/29/2008
good
NANA Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

CProfessor Bybee is great. He changed the way I see the world. I can say this only about a handful of people (let alone professors) I have encountered in my undergraduate and graduate studies.

03/02/2008
good
THYSJC Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I took Dr. Bybee for Mass Comm theory back in 05. Great teacher, great person overall. t he is very interested in helping students learn and to see the world, specifically the media, for what it really is. His class taught me to think critically about what I see in media, and I've remained interested, finishing my masters soon and heading to PhD.

01/08/2008
good
JOURN388 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Bybee's greatest mistake is that he cares too much about his students and their souls. He wants to give them the tools to interpret the world for themselves. What he has to say is very difficult to hear and some people refuse to even listen but those who are open minded, enough to consider that the world isn't what it seems, will never be the same.

12/23/2007
good
Jour499 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I took several classes from Bybee and found him to be one of the BEST. Brilliant man, GREAT teacher. He does have a tendency to piss off the idiot children of the neocons who overpopulate the University. Some of these fools, I wondered how they managed to be admitted. Maybe Daddy was a big donor? BTW, the "hot or not" question should be remo

12/08/2007
J388 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I can't believe he hasn't been fired yet. I would rather take InfoHell again than have to sit through another of his classes. This was the WORST experience I've had in my education. The texts he uses are all AT LEAST 10 years old. Come on Bybee, this is not some goddamned poor public school-WE CAN BUY NEWER BOOKS IF YOU ARE WILLING TO FIND THEM

10/24/2006
Jour512 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT take a class from Bybee. If you want to leave class everyday angered that you are paying money to hear a man's political agenda, by all means sign up. If you want to read articles upon articles (some over 40 pages long) that have no worthwhile means but to confuse and annoy, sign up.

09/13/2006

Easily the worst class I have taken thus far in college. Easy as hell, but you sit there every day and learn absolutely nothing even remotely worthwhile. Not once did I read the book, but I still managed to earn an A just sort of playing on his flamingly leftists sympathies in each of my papers. The guy wears a fanny pack for crhist sake!

08/31/2006
J350 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

This was the worst teacher I had EVER. A raging, extreme left-wing, boring, obnoxious man. If you want to hear someone criticize everyone he disagrees with every day, and tell students to f-off (yes, he did this), and teach you absolutely nothing (except maybe how to be intolerant towards even the most moderately conservative viewpoints) take bybee

05/15/2006
J388 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

If you want an easy A, take this class/professor. If you want to be educated...stay far away. This is hours upon hours of babbling and incoherent leftist, PC indoctrination. The highlight was learning that dogs cannot read books.

10/28/2005
good
Theory Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

09/02/2005
J388 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

HOLY SCHNIKES, I had Bybee once and I told myself I would never take him again. He is the most monotoned individual I've ever had for a class. Thank god I graduated already, I'd hate to think I've have to have him for class again. GO DUCKS!

08/30/2005
j388 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

08/24/2005
Media Criticism Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Carl is the man... really smart, lot to offer

06/30/2005
good
J412,J388 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Bybee is my favorite teacher at the UofO.He taught me a lot about the comercialization of children and the effects of the Media on society. His classes are what you make of them and if you are smart enough to realize that he is open to anything than you can learn a lot. He is one of the smartest people I have ever met, just missunderstood.