in University of California Berkeley that teach French Edit
Professor in the French department
at University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
are you Debarati Sanyal?

10/02/2011
FREN120B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

She is clear and energetic in class, and I liked that a lot. BUT, as a few others said, she is generally quite prideful and it is obvious from the way she conducts herself. She is not hard per se, just do the readings and you'll be fine. But I would absolutely not say she is encouraging. I've had much better professors before. Moves too fast.

11/02/2010
good
FREN73 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Fun to watch and listen to, very energetic and engaged. Dresses really well and makes very interesting faces while she lectures so that's always fun.

03/29/2010
FREN250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I don't know who these other students had, but Sanyal is a joke. It's her opinion or nothing, and when she doesn't know the answer to a (good) question, she says "We don't have time, we'll see that later" which translates to "I can't swallow my pride and look ignunt." Terrible.

05/11/2009
good
FR180C Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She is such a wonderful professor! She is very approachable, extremely knowledgeable, and facilitates really great classroom discussion. She really makes the material enjoyable, and her enthusiasm is infectious. She's one of the best professor's I've had.

05/31/2008
good
Frenc180 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

She was very energetic and made modern French literature accessible and worthwhile to study. Her enthusiasm is contagious and our discussions of Flaubert, Duras, etc. were always connected to a central theme of modernity.

11/30/2006
good
frenc183a Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Attendance and participation in class is a must, big part of your grade. 2 essays, 1 midterm and 1 presentation. For essays, go to office hour, she's very helpful, and if you put some time into it, you should get a good grade. I like her discussion though it always feel like we don't have enough time. She values everyone's opinion. Nice teacher

02/06/2006
good
French 102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I'm not going to lie, I liked Sanyal less then the others who wrote these comments. She was very energetic, but seemed much more interested in what she had to say than what her students did. A good teacher none the less, but I've had better at Berkeley...

01/13/2006
good
Fr. 171A Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

What struck me about prof Sanyal is her dedication to her students: because she cared so much, I cared a lot, and didn't dare to not do the work, and in so doing got a /lot/ out of the class. I can avow that her topics on "engagement" and "collaboration" could be applied to many disciplines, in many different situations. Highly recommended!!

12/26/2005
good
French 171A Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Certainly amongst the most difficult classes I have ever taken, French department or otherwise. Interesting readings, engaging and vivacious discussions, difficult but fair grading. And yes ,Prof Sanyal is always impeccably dressed. All around a very rewarding experience. Everything one would expect from a Professor of French at Cal.

04/22/2005
good
Fr102, Fr150B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

She is an engaging discussion leader, patient with non-native speakers and their rare frustration expressing the complex ideas demanded by the course. Very accessible, in class and OH; helpful comments on papers, fun assignments, occassional movies, always scintillating conversation.

11/14/2004
good
French120 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I took several classes with her and they were all awesome! She does require a lot of reading and work, but the class is so interesting it is worth it. She is a great teacher.