Debarati Sanyal at University of California Berkeley

Debarati Sanyal

Number of ratings 11 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

10/2/11

FREN120B

She is clear and energetic in class, and I liked that a lot. BUT, as a few others said, she is generally quite prideful and it is obvious from the way she conducts herself. She is not hard per se, just do the readings and you'll be fine. But I would absolutely not say she is encouraging. I've had much better professors before. Moves too fast.

11/2/10

FREN73

Fun to watch and listen to, very energetic and engaged. Dresses really well and makes very interesting faces while she lectures so that's always fun.

3/29/10

FREN250

I don't know who these other students had, but Sanyal is a joke. It's her opinion or nothing, and when she doesn't know the answer to a (good) question, she says "We don't have time, we'll see that later" which translates to "I can't swallow my pride and look ignunt." Terrible.

5/11/09

FR180C

She is such a wonderful professor! She is very approachable, extremely knowledgeable, and facilitates really great classroom discussion. She really makes the material enjoyable, and her enthusiasm is infectious. She's one of the best professor's I've had.

5/31/08

Frenc180

She was very energetic and made modern French literature accessible and worthwhile to study. Her enthusiasm is contagious and our discussions of Flaubert, Duras, etc. were always connected to a central theme of modernity.

11/30/06

frenc183a

Attendance and participation in class is a must, big part of your grade. 2 essays, 1 midterm and 1 presentation. For essays, go to office hour, she's very helpful, and if you put some time into it, you should get a good grade. I like her discussion though it always feel like we don't have enough time. She values everyone's opinion. Nice teacher

2/6/06

French 102

I'm not going to lie, I liked Sanyal less then the others who wrote these comments. She was very energetic, but seemed much more interested in what she had to say than what her students did. A good teacher none the less, but I've had better at Berkeley...

1/13/06

Fr. 171A

What struck me about prof Sanyal is her dedication to her students: because she cared so much, I cared a lot, and didn't dare to not do the work, and in so doing got a /lot/ out of the class. I can avow that her topics on "engagement" and "collaboration" could be applied to many disciplines, in many different situations. Highly recommended!!

12/26/05

French 171A

Certainly amongst the most difficult classes I have ever taken, French department or otherwise. Interesting readings, engaging and vivacious discussions, difficult but fair grading. And yes ,Prof Sanyal is always impeccably dressed. All around a very rewarding experience. Everything one would expect from a Professor of French at Cal.

4/22/05

Fr102, Fr150B

She is an engaging discussion leader, patient with non-native speakers and their rare frustration expressing the complex ideas demanded by the course. Very accessible, in class and OH; helpful comments on papers, fun assignments, occassional movies, always scintillating conversation.

11/14/04

French120

I took several classes with her and they were all awesome! She does require a lot of reading and work, but the class is so interesting it is worth it. She is a great teacher.

More French professors at University of California Berkeley