in University of California Berkeley that teach French Edit
Professor in the French department
at University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
are you Debarati Sanyal?

10/02/2011
FREN120B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

She is clear and energetic in class, and I liked that a lot. BUT, as a few others said, she is generally quite prideful and it is obvious from the way she conducts herself. She is not hard per se, just do the readings and you'll be fine. But I would absolutely not say she is encouraging. I've had much better professors before. Moves too fast.

11/02/2010
good
FREN73 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Fun to watch and listen to, very energetic and engaged. Dresses really well and makes very interesting faces while she lectures so that's always fun.

03/29/2010
FREN250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I don't know who these other students had, but Sanyal is a joke. It's her opinion or nothing, and when she doesn't know the answer to a (good) question, she says "We don't have time, we'll see that later" which translates to "I can't swallow my pride and look ignunt." Terrible.

05/11/2009
good
FR180C Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

She is such a wonderful professor! She is very approachable, extremely knowledgeable, and facilitates really great classroom discussion. She really makes the material enjoyable, and her enthusiasm is infectious. She's one of the best professor's I've had.

05/31/2008
good
Frenc180 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

She was very energetic and made modern French literature accessible and worthwhile to study. Her enthusiasm is contagious and our discussions of Flaubert, Duras, etc. were always connected to a central theme of modernity.