in Truman State University that teach English Edit
David Partenheimer
at Truman State University, Kirksville, MO
are you David Partenheimer?

05/18/2014
good
ENG 358 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

It was easy to get an A in his class. We had homework assigned every day which you only had to write one page or less on. It was all do at the end of the unit. If you emailed it to him before class he would give you critiques on it.

03/06/2014
ENG 308 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

He's very old-school. So, if you like close readings and hate literary theory, he's your guy. If you'd like to look at secondary scholarship or do anything other than reader response, look elsewhere. Tests were from the book. I've had other classes with him; it's amazing someone like this is teaching at Truman in the 21st century.

12/24/2013
good
Eng 209 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

At first, I really enjoyed this class, but I had some issues towards the end. It is sometimes to difficult to figure out what he wants because he only talks in the abstract. It takes some getting used to, but he is very nice and wants you to do well in his class.

07/09/2013
good
EN404 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

brilliant professor; one of the best in his field

04/25/2013
good
ENG 357 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Partenheimer is helpful and highly recommended. If you like direct instruction though, be careful. He likes to talk in abstract terms, but his classroom discussions are brilliant and interesting. I always found his class (I took 3) to be applicable to other classes in my major.

10/21/2012
good
INDV140 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

This is what I consider a college class. Each class was basically a discussion over the 10-15 page reading for the week. Ended with a paper for the final. The student teacher talked to us before class and made sure we weren't left completely in the dark if we didn't understand something. Overall, an amazing (and fairly easy) class.

11/08/2011
good
ENG622 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

If you really want to learn, Dr. Partenheimer is the professor for you.

06/22/2011
good
ENG398 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Principled, fair, and knowledgeable.

04/10/2011
good
ENG315 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

LOVED this class (Studies in Shakespeare)! In all, we read 7-8 works and wrote that many papers. He starts out by saying that he looks for reasons to give you an A, so as long as you show that you put in effort he will give you at least a 90. He's such a cool, laid-back guy, but his style does take some getting used to.

12/10/2010
good
ENG209 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Talks in a weird way, might not be understandable at first. He is a very intelligent guy, and will allow you to form the class as you wish; If you don't like his method of teaching, then you can offer another way and he will compromise with you. Will let you skip class if you get your work done early and you know what you are doing.

11/10/2010
good
ENG209 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I love Partenheimer. He is a little weird, but once you start to understand what exactly he is trying to say, the class just gets even more awesome. I'm definitely going to take as many of his classes as possible.

10/28/2010
ENG355 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I LOVE poetry, but the way he approached it made me hate it. He was obsessed with the technical part, which would have been fine had he given valuable insight on it. He didn't. I was clogged with busy work and gained nothing from the course. Dropped.

10/12/2010
good
ENG209 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I loved Professor Partenheimer. His mannerisims make the class! Yes, the class is a little difficult, but if you go to his office hours he will help you. He will also remember if you visit him and it will help your grade in the class. I greatly recommend him! Definitely going to take as many of his classes as possible!

11/18/2008
good
ENG250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

The Shakespeare class was pretty easy. You have to read all of the plays you're assigned and start on them early. Just talk with him, and he'll help you with whatever you need. The "tests" were mostly papers, not actual tests.

10/31/2008
ENG221 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Tests were multiple choice but insanely hard and confusing. Lots of reading but thats to be expected. Loves putting students on the spot and pauses awkwardly every class. I'm sure if you love literature you will love him. He basically told me at the end of the year that the reason I got a C was because I played a sport.

10/27/2008
good
ENG308 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Partenheimer is an amazing professor. He gives you all the tools you need to do well on the tests in his lecture, and he's willing to give you as much help as you need. I've had him for two different classes and I highly recommend him.

07/30/2008
good
ENG308 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

He's an excellent prof! I know some people don't like him bc he requires a little extra effort on our parts i.e. to get e.c. you have to come up w/something own your own to do-But he is so helpful, flexible, & encouraging. On tests, I could argue my answer & he always gave me the point back! Just give a little thought to things & you'll do fine!

06/09/2008
good
Eng308 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

i adore Professor Partenheimer! yes, his classes are challenging, but he goes out of his way to be helpful; read carefully, write with detail, and you should be fine!

12/18/2007
ENG190 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Very nice guy. Teaches well.

12/02/2007

I took him for mythology. He does not write his own tets, they are very hard (he gets them from the text book). Also the class discussion does not even matter in relation to the test. He re-wrote our syllabus over 15 times I believe. Also if you want any hope of passing you must find your own way to get extra credit. Do not recommend at all!!