Clare Bright at University of Washington

Clare Bright

Number of ratings 15 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

3/8/13

HONORS 394A

It's quite a bit of reading, but you can get by skimming and in-class review. Very discussion-based: the first half of class gets a bit dull sometimes, but she really knows her stuff. A lot of small-group break outs and all-class discussions which I loved. The content is pretty fascinating too, will challenge the way you think. Overall positive.

12/9/12

HON394

Clare is an extremely interesting professor! I had her for Philosophy of Gender, and was extremely impressed with her level of knowledge and dedication to teaching. The class was VERY philosophy based, which I wasn't expecting, so be prepared. I loved Clare as a teacher but philosophy wasn't my thing, so I might not gotten as much out of it.

3/21/12

HONOR394A

I had Clare for Comparative Ideology of Human Rights Movements, which I was genuinely interested in before the course. However, it ended up being mostly black/women's history, which is NOT what I had in mind. i was hoping for more contemporary. She's a very sweet lady, but not the best lecturer. She will encourage you to speak in class, I like that

3/18/11

Hon394A

She is one of the best professors I've had at the UW. If you are in the Honors program and have the opportunity, definitely take one of her courses. They require a lot of reading, and the class will challenge you on your assumptions about yourself and society, but it is so worth it. I would take these classes again if I could!

1/9/11

Honor391

My least favorite class at UW so far. The first week you are buried under 6+ hours of reading. If you plan to do all the readings, expect to do 2-5 hours prior to class. Extremely boring lecturer. 10 page paper due on the same day as the GROUP final (honestly it makes it harder and is completely unfair and deceivingly difficult) Avoid if possible!

12/21/10

Honor391

Absolutely terrible. Boring classes and explanations. A waste of time. I'm a senior and have taken dozens of classes in western civilization and her course is the worst! After all, she is just a lecturer and there is a great difference between her and a professor. Their depth and dimensions of thinking are very very different.

12/8/09

H251

Engaging and hilarious professor, and a very interesting class. She manages to teach about millenia of history and still make it easy to learn. The papers are long but it isn't hard to get a good grade on them, and the tests were actually FUN!

2/23/09

HonorA

I absolutely loved Clare's class (H A+S). She is a very inclusive, open teacher, and I can't wait to take her again.

4/7/08

HAS252

I actually really enjoyed this class, and the subject matter was completely interesting and overwhelming. Professor Bright knew how to direct the class into just the right discussions. I never found it boring.

1/6/08

has252

had her for H A&S. she seems like a good professor overall. interesting discussions went on in that class

7/27/07

HAS252

A hippie. Very slow, class sessions are boring. Did well in class, but was fighting myself not to skip. Couldn't stand putting myself through another 2 hours every class day. Essays are boring and uninteresting. Skip this prof unless you're cool with easy grades but excruciatingly boring class.

10/9/06

has251

Clare is an all-around great professor. She encourages everyone to speak in discussions and makes it a safe environment for even the most anxious of students. Class was never boring and she always welcomed students to her office for discussion even after the class was over. The reading was provocative, too.

11/2/05

HA&S 251

She's a great professor who makes the class interesting and always listens to everyone's views during discussions. Excellent professor.

6/13/05

H A&S 251A

She asks the perfect questions to get us to think differently and see things from different perspectives. I have never had better class discussions in the entire history of my education, and any feedback I got from her was very helpful. She has a way of leading and following students that really shows she invests herself in our education.

11/19/04

H A&S 251A

Clare is a very good teacher who teaches a course where a lot of info is throw at you all at once. Considering this, she makes it very clear and is always willing to help you out when you have a problem. H A&S was one of most engauging courses I have taken.

More Honors professors at University of Washington