Sebastian Knowles at The Ohio State University

Sebastian Knowles

Number of ratings 31 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

2/18/09

Eng595

Are you kidding me? This rating system does not do Prof. Knowles justice. He is the best prof you will ever have. No he's not easy, and you have to listen to understand his point, isn't that the point of learning???

5/6/08

eng110

fun, inspiring

10/9/07

Hist101

He taught my Experience of War class. He's simply one of the best profs I have ever encountered in undergrad,grad and law school. A tremendous teacher.

2/28/07

eng202

Seb is one of the most entertaining professors I've ever encountered.

6/14/06

English Lit

He was friendly and funny. He can entertain a class, but he unfortunately lacks clairity. I often had difficulty follwing his train of thought. He is a real piece of work. First lecture he pulled out a hammer and nailed an American Flag to the wall. This was at Antwerp University in Belgium :p

4/15/06

ENG 561

Seb is the kind of literature professor a reader dreams about. He's intimidatingly intelligent, but always welcoming and funny. I found his train of thought hard to follow sometimes, but mostly because his thinking isn't as linear as most people. It's great having a teacher who will teach you to think in a different way.

12/13/05

ENG 860.02

An authority on early 20th C Brit Lit., he effortlessly waltzed in and out of texts and got us to reflect on stylistic and formal concerns of writers in a completely different light. If you are looking for someone who can teach you to read texts closely, he is the man. And his sense of "humour" (he's British you see) is simply delightful.

10/20/05

Eng 543

This professor was all over the place, but he was so fun and interesting that I would recommend him. He's difficult in terms of grading, but the classes move quickly and he is always amusing because he thinks out loud and encourages us to laugh with him. He's one of the smartest and most entertaining (without trying to be) professor I've had here

3/5/05

Hon H296

Went on the london study tour with him - great guy!

2/2/05

H267

Seb's class was by far my favorite class of all time. I was in the London Study Abroad program with him and I NEVER stopped laughing. He's hilarious, but he is quite British, and as such his sense of humor is slightly odd, but great. Highly recommended!

12/29/04

English 291

This Prof is not the norm--but he is very intelligent, and even if individual lectures may not always seem to make sense, it all comes together at the end. Lectures were vividly told and fun. Papers graded hard. Not easy to talk to one on one.

11/30/04

One of the best professors I have had at OSU. Class is actually entertaining, and he really gets the point across.

10/6/04

Eng 202

He's very passionate about his subjects, he's hilarious and he's very intellegent. I wish I could've taken more classes with him.

6/22/04

brit lit

bad prof. Unclear on expectations

6/11/04

202, 595..

Rater Interest

I have taken three soon to be four courses with Prof. Knowles. He is the smartest, most well read, most interesting teacher or man I have ever met. He is very challenging, however well worth the effort.

6/7/04

Eng 398

Rater Interest

He was very negative towards me. He was never supportive, told me I was a bad writer, and was an overall jerk to our class. Don't take him. I had never gotten lower than an A- on a paper and he gave me a D on my first one. He is very strict and harsh.

3/12/04

ENGL H598

Rater Interest

This guy was one of the coolest teachers I have ever taken. He's creative, enthusiastic, and very intelligent. However, he is demanding that his students get involved (but he makes it fun)! Highly recommended.

3/3/04

mod. brit.

Rater Interest

very lofty, talked down to me all the time. btw, i am an A student so this is not from someone disgruntled. i have never seen a prof. so arrogant and unclear. stay away from his classes.

1/2/04

Brit Lit

Rater Interest

He is the most intelligent professor I have had. He makes class fun to attend...I think those above probably did no work and are angry about thier grades because it would be almost impossible to dislike this professor for any other reason. Research him.

12/31/03

Rater Interest

Had no interest in helping students. Not a very agreeable man.

More English professors at The Ohio State University