in University of Florida that teach Chemistry Edit
are you Jason Portmess?
C+
12/15/2014
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: B
"Skip class? You won't pass." "Tests are tough" "Participation matters"

This man's class taught me a whole new level of work-ethic. His lectures are to be treated as review session. For the most part he expects you to already have a grasp on the concepts before coming to class. DO ALL OF THE FUSODMOW's or you will regret it. I learned so much in this class, and I would recommend him, just be prepared to work hard!

12/10/2014
good
2211 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He is a good person, but he exams were way too difficult. I learned a lot of material from his class, but his tests were so outrageously difficult that i truly couldn't test my knowledge. He put too much biological chemistry on the exams, last time i checked, we were in Organic chemistry 2 not biochem.

11/24/2014
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A
"Big time extra credit" "Skip class? You won't pass." "Tests are tough"

Dr. Portmess is a great lecturer, and he makes it clear that he has extremely high expectations for his students. I learned a lot in his class, but his exams were so tough that I could not prove that I knew the material. He has lot of biologicalbiochemical applications on exams. Study every day, go to every class (extra credit is offered)!

08/17/2014
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: A

Notes were well organized/hee did a good job lecturing. Included biological applications of orgo which I thought was really cool. The tests required some thinking, nothing that you'd be unprepared if you went to class and studied (ill admit there was too much biochem on the last test...) Went to class 75% of the time. Study edge helps.

08/07/2014
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I wouldn't recommend taking this class unless you are prepared to memorize his notes word for word. He will put the most obscure thing he barely mentioned in class and it will be a large portion of your exam. Be prepared to attend all office hours and read your book religiously. This is the only way to even pass the class, forget about a good grade

08/05/2014
good
CHM 2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Portmess is the best professor I've had at UF. Orgo is NOT easy by any means...work hard and GO TO OFFICE HOURS. He explains things very well, and if you apply yourself, he is very willing to help you. He even knew my name by the end of the course.

07/16/2014
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

His amount of knowledge is STUNNING. Expect to study, as echoed by all other students. But, this is college people, and more importantly, ORGANIC CHEMISTRY. It aint easy for a reason!

05/10/2014
good
Chm2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. J is an incredibly awesome person. Best professor I have had so far at UF. He's always willing to go the extra mile to help his students. He actually makes Orgo fun and addictive! Expect to study a lot! Orgo is definetly not a walk in the park, doesn't matter who you take. Also, I did not have him for Orgo1 and I did fine!

05/05/2014
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Had him for both Orgo 1 and Orgo 2. A phenomenal professor! Definitely a VERY challenging class, requires a tremendous amount of effort and time. This class made me think about orgo ALL THE TIME. After the orgo2 final, I literally had no idea what to do with my life.. Portmess made this class FUN! He's a great lecturer and is very funny. Take him!

04/24/2014
good
Chm2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Everyone on campus will say not to take him. I'm really glad I didn't listen to them. He puts more time into his class than any professor I've ever had. Not going to lie I made myself a slave to this class as much as possible. Honestly, I feel really lucky to have taken orgo with him. Might not get the grade you want,but the experience is worth it.

01/23/2014
good
chm2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I had Portmess for both orgo 1 and 2 and it was a very hard class, but very doable if you studied his notes. I had him a couple years ago and was wondering if anyone knew his office hours this semester?

01/05/2014
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

His class becomes very manageable once you learn that you HAVE to do his FUs, SODs, and MOWs. I recommend reading parts of the book he goes over to fully understand the concepts. His curve is weird and I ended up with an A-.

01/05/2014
good
CHM 2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Portmess is by far the best teacher I have encountered. He is extremely helpful in lectures and in office hours (his TAs are awesome too). His tests are hard, but many questions come from "FUs" and "MOWs" that are given in class. If you study the way he tells you, you'll do great He also doesn't fail anyone, everyone gets at least a C if you try.

12/13/2013
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. J is an excellent and helpful professor. Exams are tough. Study advice: be very comfortable with trends and practice lots of problems, especially ones from class (they can show up on tests). Don't look at the solution until you've tried the problem. Seriously! Finally, attend class. There are pop quizzes, and you will want those extra points.

12/11/2013
good

A truly wonderful professor that is interested in the success of his students. You have to want it! Attend office hours. Do the FUs, the SODs, and the MOWs. Check the discussion board often. ATTEND CLASS. He makes orgo as easy to understand as possible. Definitely one of my favorite teachers thus far at UF!

12/08/2013
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

The best advice anyone will ever give to you with Portmess is study his FU's, SOD's, and MOW's like CRAZY! These always show up on exams. Don't get behind, you'll just screw yourself over when it comes exam time. The exam average is around a 65 but he curves and gives extra credit in class so make sure you go, especially the day after the exams!

12/06/2013
good
CHM2211 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I love this guy. I don't understand how anyone could hate him; his exams are doable with studying, not impossible. After Orgo 1 I lost all interest in chemistry but Dr. J makes it interesting. He's very clear, and very helpful. Best professor I've ever had. Wish I could take him again. If someone didn't pass, it's only because they didn't study.

07/02/2013
good
CHM 2210 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

BEST professor at UF! Pay attention during class, read the book if you don't quite understand, and GO TO OFFICE HOURS. Use the teaching center and TAs, they are his previous students and are also FANTASTIC! You don't really need to practice outside of the F.U.s he gives you (quiz yourself with them before getting answers in office hours). Got an A

06/27/2013
good
chm 2210 Summer Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Excellent teacher. Very helpful. If you like puzzle solving, you'd love this class. Not very hard, but requires lot of practice. Do the problems in the book and the FUs from his notes and an A is very much possible.

06/20/2013
good
CHM2210 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

This is the hardest class I have taken at UF I took it in 6 weeks and I honestly think the only way I made it through was because how much Dr. J cares about his students. He offers so much time and help to make sure that you can do the beat you possibly can in his class. It def wasn't easy but it sure was worth it in the end