in College of William and Mary that teach Philosophy Edit
at College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
are you Alan Fuchs?

07/24/2011
good
PHIL303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Amazing individual. Expert in philosophy AND physics and finds ways to blend them together in class. He is a very sweet and calm person who pleasantly urges the class into discussion. He also has an amazing perspective on life and is really wonderful to talk to. I strongly recommend taking a class with him if he teaches again.

05/27/2011
good
Phil303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

This was a GREAT philosophy class. He's really open to debates, and even though he might play devil's advocate, this keeps the conversations from being dominated by philosophy-major jargon. He'll make you defend your point, but he really wants you to participate. Such a sweetheart. Take this class!

05/09/2011
PHIL303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I just want to start by saying that I attended class diligently, took notes, tried my hardest to pay attention, the whole 9 yards. I'm not sure I learned anything. The lectures were disorganized, I couldn't keep up in my notes, and we'd often go off on tangents that really weren't relevant. I tried really hard to like this class, but I just can't.

05/01/2011
good
CS303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Has a lot of heart. You can tell that he also has a lot of experience in this matter considering he's been teaching it ever since he arrived here after graduate school. At this point of his life though, he doesn't keep control of the class. Kinda boring. You'll do fine. That's if he comes back next semester, which he won't. His back is killing him.

04/03/2011
PHIL303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I cannot say I have attended classes with the teacher people below me are describing. Class with Fuchs is mind numbingly boring, haven't learned anything and I now hate Ethics. Seriously, going to class is either torture or I fall asleep the whole time and spare myself.

05/09/2010
good
PHIL305 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Fuchs was honored with the Jefferson Teaching Award in 1976 and his classes are still terrific today. His lectures are insightful and subtle, his questions for the class are engaging. Fuchs teaches you how to think - in that way parents keep telling you college will. A thoroughly enjoyable class. I'll take things with him again.

01/20/2009
good
PHIL305 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Great professor -- you can tell he's excited about the material, and he wants everyone to understand. Always available after and outside class for further discussion. Tests are straightforward and and optional paper can substitute for a bad test grade.

01/10/2007
good
PHiL305 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

The only complaint I have about this prof is he has illegible handwriting! otherwise i loved the class..one of the few i wanted to come to every time. you can tell Fuchs has a passion for what he teaches and it is infectious! go to his office hours with questions--this helped me out TONS; he was very helpful!

10/03/2006
good
PHIL303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Greatest philosopher of all time. Better than the son of Aristotle and Mill if they were able to have offspring together.

05/08/2006
good
Ethics Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Fuchs is great. He's good at explaining things and tests on the material. If you don't do the reading before classes, you'll feel like a dunce and have nothing to say. I would recommend this class to anyone. And that's coming from a science major.

04/27/2006
good
PHIL 303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

phenomenally smart and enthusiastic guy who's a pleasure to listen to; is critical of student input but you learn to appreciate this; essay/written-out tests are flexible, grading seems to be fairly lenient; i read almost none of the assigned readings, studied minimal amount, and got B's on the first 2 tests. loved this class because of the prof.

01/08/2006
good
PHIL 403 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Could talk on one subject absolutely forever and never be entirely boring. Cares about class input--makes you feel like you know what you're talking about and that your comments are original and thought-provoking. Helps to have had government classes or soc/political phil before Advanced Ethics.

10/19/2005
good

Great guy, very helpful if you have questions. I was somewhat disappointed that the "Advanced Ethics" class is ALL John Rawls and no one else. Feel like we missed a lot of what's out there. Good discussion leader but a bit poor at relating the big picture and the basic key points, instead spending time on minutiae. A bit abstract/vague at times.

09/08/2005
good
Phil 305 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This guy rocks! His is the only "long" class I can get through without sleeping. He likes input, and pays attention to what you say. He's got a cool twist for every concept he covers. Watch him dance around the classroom.

01/12/2005
good
PHIL 303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Interesting class. Fuchs definitely knows what he's talking about. Very engaging. However, he's a pretty tough grader. Going to class and participating gets you extra points.

01/08/2005
good
150W Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Unless you are hardcore about philosophy, don't take this class. Fuchs was very interesting, and I appreciated the class, but it wasn't really my style.

11/15/2004
good
150W Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He knows what he's talking about. A superb professor for your philosophical needs. I highly recommend taking a class of his.

11/15/2004
good

Ethics was one of my most favorite classes; Fuchs truly wants the students to learn the philosophies. Keep up on the reading and attend most classes and you'll be good to go on his two tests and one final. I never went to office hours but he waits in class until everyone understands.Excellent Prof

11/12/2004
good
PHIL 303 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The best professor I've ever had, period (and he's not in my major field). I've had some very good professors in my major, but I've never seen anyone who teaches like him. If you take the class seriously, you will truly learn.

12/09/2003
good
Ethics Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

The Best. Really challenges the class and gets them engaged in the subject.