Kirk Sigurdson at Portland Community College

Kirk Sigurdson

Number of ratings 86 / Average Grade:  B Submit a correction

8/15/14

WRI 122

This is a great class to take to get ready to write college level papers. He does not let you write about whatever you want to write about, and has specific guidelines of how you are to write essays (no 1st person, rhetorical thesis etc.) Which makes it somewhat difficult, but very necessary for college success. The theme kept me attentive...

5/21/14

WR 121

Grade ReceivedWD

Kirk is a riot, he's engaging, responsive, and helpful. However, I could not get passed the agenda he was pushing in the class. This felt like Conspiracy Theories 101 masquerading as a writing class. There was little to no instruction about writing structure itself, and weekly discussions hardly felt like they had anything to do with the subject.

5/21/14

Writing 121

Grade ReceivedB

I really enjoyed Prof Sigurdson's class. The conspiracy theory topic was fascinating and encouraged me to "think outside the box". There was a lot of reading but overall, this class was not terribly difficult to keep up with, even for a full time working single Mom.

3/25/14

WR-121-0-1-1578

Professor Kirk Sigurdson class was interesting, thought provoking and never boring. His class was great. It helps with critical thinking. If you are thinking on taking his class I suggest you have good writing skills and be sure you took, W115 He is helpful, thoughtful and brilliant. I enjoy his class and his books, Kultus and Cowslip.

2/21/14

Writing121

Met with Kirk over coffee at Stumptown. He really zeroed in on ways to help my second essay. Nice man. I got quite a bit out of the class. At first it was not what I expected but as the term went on I liked it mroe and more. Now I kind of miss the mental stimulation.

12/29/13

WR121

Awful!!! It would have been much better if we had been open to writing about topics of our choice instead of getting sucked into the conspiracy theory garbage. A small amount would have been nice, but not the entire term. It was interesting for a week or two, then it got really old. I completely lost interest.

5/31/13

Wr 121

This class was one of the better ones I have taken online at PCC. A nice balance between essays that taught me how to write without being too much work. The conspiracy theory class theme was fun. I liked it.

3/5/13

WR121

I hated writing. I suck at it. This professor really makes you thing outside the box and let you explore your own writing style. There were lots of participation on the online class forum. If you're tire of taking boring writing class, this class is for you, especailly, if you like those conspiracy theory stuff. I found it very interesting.

2/24/13

122000

I loved writing before this class.It is all about politics and conspiracy theory's with him, worst class I've ever taken. PAINFULLY AWFUL.

2/8/13

WRIT121

I loved the guy. A lot of people rag on him for his attention to... let's say "controversial subjects outside of the immediate curriculum," but it's really more of a jumping board to pique your interests in writing about things more passionately. Very fun, very helpful and he is not above doling out praise when you do well. An ideal instructor!

1/29/13

Wr121

Professor Sigurdson metwith me during weekends at acoffee shop near his house to help me with the essays. My schedule last term was busy working full time and he was flexible to meet outside his office hours. His help probably got me at least one grade higher than I would have gotten otherwise in the class. He is very nice and cares about you.

1/11/13

WR122

This class was more about conspiracy theories than writing. Kirk is a very nice man and I appreciated him but I was disgusted by all the conspiracy theory topics that were covered. It was disturbing because young college kids were buying it which was frustrating. Not everything is a freakin' conspiracy. It was hard to take this class seriously.

10/18/12

wR121

First writing class I took in a long time(last term). I liked it. Thought I wouldn't but did. Grew on me. No essays about me me me bla bla, but about using articles, quotes, and stuff. good skill builder for history and psych classes am taking this term. As a returnign student to college, I recommend Sigurdsen's class.

5/1/12

WRI121

Great teacher, while the class was a bit difficult it was worth taking. The topics we covered were very controversial and at first I did not think I would enjoy the class. By the end of it though I realized how much those topics got my attention as you almost have to take a side with each topic covered which is very stimulating! HIGHLY RECCOMEND!

4/20/12

Wr121

I took this class last term. It was not bad. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man was an unusual textbook. I read the whole thing over spring break, after the class ended. I got an "A" in Kurt's class even though I skipped two discussions, and one quiz. He seems like a hard grader, but I found out this is much more bark than bite. Thank God.

3/26/12

WR121

Class was about as good as WR 121 can get. Nice prof, intriguing topics, reasonable essays.

3/14/12

wr121

clear directionsand class is pretty fun. teacher is really nice. he takes calls at home in evenings. I likeit

2/23/12

WR121

i took this class online and found it very hard to follow along. The whole course was based around watching 9/11 movies and videos and then writing essays that had nothing to do with anything. I found it very hard to want to read his 15 page lectures or post into all the required discussions. I do not recommend him for an online class, at all!

12/16/11

wr121

8/16/11

WR121

Great class! Two things you'll take away: write well and more interest / knowledge of events in the U.S and the world.

More English professors at Portland Community College