in Duke University that teach English Edit
at Duke University, Durham, NC
are you George Gopen?

02/09/2012
good
ENG117 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I wouldn't label Gopen as egotistical, he is extremely charismatic. He brilliantly illustrates stories and life experiences that correlate with a lesson from the class. I have taken 17 English courses and he is by far the best professor I have encountered in the department. Also he is more than willing to make time for office hours with students.

05/24/2011
good
ENG63S Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

The classes I took with Professor Gopen have been two of the most valuable courses I've had at Duke. His animated lectures on poetry inspired me to start writing myself--a hobby which has bloomed into a passion. In prose, I still incorporate his advice while writing, and the quality of my work is all the better for it. A truly amazing teacher.

04/26/2011
good
ENG117 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I have taken three courses with Professor Gopen and he is now both my thesis and academic adviser. Throughout my academic career at Duke I have tried to abide by one rule: never take more than one class with the same professor. It is usually best to branch out and explore other fields of study. However, George Gopen is my one exception.

12/22/2010
ENG117 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Gopen is the most prideful professor I've had at Duke & he's never available. If you are interested in this class, just get his book and read it. His lectures are word for word from his book anyway. His grading is completely arbitrary and you'll never know how you're doing in the class until you see your grade on ACES at the end of the semester.

11/06/2010
good
ENG117B Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Gopen's ego is huuge and he loves to talk about himself, but he really is a wonderful professor and he cares about his students. I took this class and his Shakespeare class and both of them really changed the way I read and write for the better. Definitely take a Gopen class before you graduate.