George Gopen at Duke University

George Gopen

Number of ratings 10 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

2/9/12

ENG117

I wouldn't label Gopen as egotistical, he is extremely charismatic. He brilliantly illustrates stories and life experiences that correlate with a lesson from the class. I have taken 17 English courses and he is by far the best professor I have encountered in the department. Also he is more than willing to make time for office hours with students.

5/24/11

ENG63S

The classes I took with Professor Gopen have been two of the most valuable courses I've had at Duke. His animated lectures on poetry inspired me to start writing myself--a hobby which has bloomed into a passion. In prose, I still incorporate his advice while writing, and the quality of my work is all the better for it. A truly amazing teacher.

4/26/11

ENG117

I have taken three courses with Professor Gopen and he is now both my thesis and academic adviser. Throughout my academic career at Duke I have tried to abide by one rule: never take more than one class with the same professor. It is usually best to branch out and explore other fields of study. However, George Gopen is my one exception.

12/22/10

ENG117

Gopen is the most prideful professor I've had at Duke & he's never available. If you are interested in this class, just get his book and read it. His lectures are word for word from his book anyway. His grading is completely arbitrary and you'll never know how you're doing in the class until you see your grade on ACES at the end of the semester.

11/6/10

ENG117B

Gopen's ego is huuge and he loves to talk about himself, but he really is a wonderful professor and he cares about his students. I took this class and his Shakespeare class and both of them really changed the way I read and write for the better. Definitely take a Gopen class before you graduate.

12/15/09

ENG63S

Gopen does have a HUGE ego; it took up so much room I could barely breathe. But I was learning a lot, so I decided to ignore his quirks. Until I got my grade at the end of term. We had received literally ZERO feedback from him the whole semester - no grades, not even comments for our 12 assignments - and I see that I somehow have ended up with a B.

4/1/08

ENG173

Took his seminar Rhetorical Analysis of Poetry (or Reading Poetry Aloud). Great class. Gopen is incredibly interesting and definitely knows the material. However, his ego is so large that it may knock you over the first day of class, but once you get used to him, you'll come to love his class.

4/11/05

ENG 90AS

simply brilliant. a little egotistical, but one of the best teachers i've had. you WILL be a better writer if you do what he says. revolutionary. I used to be pretty cocky about my writing but now i know i didn't know anything until taking his class. but now i'm extremely cocky, and rightfully so!

12/20/04

ENG117BS

This is one of the few classes that will have a lasting impact on you long after you graduate. A writing-intensive class, but well worth the time and effort. Forever changed the way I write. An amiable professor who actively tries to get to know his students outside of the classroom.

12/13/04

ENG 117BS

Gopen has a huge ego and is unbearably dogmatic. You write anywhere from 6-15 pages a week for his class but never see a single grade or comment until your final grade appears on ACES. Unless you're eager to conform to one professor's very narrow view of what writing should be, don't take the class

More English professors at Duke University