in University of Pennsylvania that teach Social Science Edit
at University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
are you Andrew Lamas?

06/12/2014
good
SWRK601 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Lamas is interested in real critical social work - not anti-intellectualism. Some students became frightened when he threw out the syllabus - if you are at school simply for the "credentials" then save space in the class for those who will actually benefit. I will reference Lamas and the work we did probably forever.

01/06/2014
good
URBS Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: A

He is a very different type of professor than most others I've had at school so far. He is very passionate about community development and cares a great deal about his students. When it comes to grading he is more than fair. If you are at all interested community development I recommend you take his class.

03/17/2013
good
URBS Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

An inspiring and brilliant man who is extremely dedicated to helping students find innovative solutions to societal problems. His course will give you a taste of an authentic education.

02/19/2012
SWRK601 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

While he is a great thinker, persuasive and great at encouraging students to push their limits... he is extremely condescending and at times hurtful. But, he will throw out the syllabus, which at times can be horrible or awesome, allowing for more creative forms of work - like multimedia submissions... its a toss up!

06/23/2011
good
URBS405 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This is an awesome class if you are interested in learning, especially free-form learning. Andy has many resources, and is a creativeflexible instructor. He is also demanding: he expects you to bring as much passion to the work as he does. I highly recommend his class if you want to cultivate your intellectual awareness and opinions of the world

05/12/2011
good
URBS405 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This class offers plenty of interesting material, some flexibility. Its often engaging;sometimes a bit overwhelming. Professor Lamas pulls in incredibly interesting sources; at times it seems like too much, at other times it seems like a miracle to encounter such gems. Discussions can be feisty; students are encouraged to take risks.

11/06/2010
SWRK601 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Expectations were not clear and constantly changing. He was insulting and condescending, and though I liked the way he encouraged us to do real-wold policy projects, the fact that he threw out our syllabus left me totally unprepared for future coursework in policy. By the time he started warming up to us, it was too late. Worst class I ever had.

10/27/2009
good
Dyn671 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I was skeptical about his teaching style but I learned tremendously from prof Lamas. He made me want to go to class and awoke my appetite for learning. If you want to be challenged academically and intellectually take his class.

09/15/2005
good
Comm. Capacity Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

One of the best, most unique approaches to "macro" social work. I really appreciated how he tied in so many different aspects of what is important in life in order to build community capacity. Andrew Lamas is a hero.

12/24/2004
good
Religion SJ UD Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Wonderful prof. Kind, caring, insightful. My best one at Penn