Julianne Newton at University of Oregon

Julianne Newton

Number of ratings 16 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

12/16/08

J204

The most useless class I have ever taken. Terrible teacher, taught entirely out of the textbook (that she wrote and made us spend $70 on) and babbled on in class about the music she had playing in the background as we sketched our feet. Obviously very helpful for people pursuing careers in journalism. STAY AWAY--take this class from Bill Ryan.

3/27/08

J204

Such a pointless class as everyone else said.Do the creatives and you will pass. The tests take some studying but not much.It is a lot of busy work. Do not wait until the last minute to do the final creative though it is not something you can do in one sitting.

1/3/08

EthngJ660

This is not a class for slackers. Newton expects you to do your best work and encourages her students to think deeply, creatively and ethically about the ideas presented. But she won't police you if you decide to waste your own time. Several students developed masters or PhD projects through the work we did in this class.

2/21/07

j204

I have never been this dissappointed in a class before. I learned how to draw my hand in kindergarten and am not sure how analyzing your dreams educates us on media. Not only that, she manipulates her students into following her political views which she states as fact in class. WORST PROFFESSOR EVER!!!! Waste of time.

12/7/06

J204

This is the single worst class that I have taken at this school. Totally worthless. I think that the entire course needs to be reworked. It has no REAL applications for the study of journalism. Total waste of time and money.

8/25/06

journ400

good teacher

3/21/06

J204

She made us meditate. She made us draw our hands. She made us draw our hands w/out looking at them. She made us draw our hands again. I hope you get the point: her class is pointless. The assignments are a joke, they're just busy work. She's very nice but we don't pay tuition to have our professors not teach. Don't waste your time and money!

2/4/06

J 660

The course title should be changed from "Ethnography" to "Waste of time/tuition". If you are an academic conservative, stay far, far away; the deck is stacked against you from the moment you cross the threshold of the door. In fact, stay away from the entire School of JCOMM unless you have an agenda and are proud to abuse it.

11/7/05

J 204

I feel dumber for having taken this class. I didn't learn a thing and eventually stopped showing up because it is so pointless. The material has the potential to be interesting but the way she presents it makes me want to slam my head into a wall. Too bad it's required for the J school...

10/13/05

Vis Comm

10/3/05

8/30/05

J202

I didn't read a single piece of information she asked us to read. I fell asleep during class discussions when I wasn't doodling. I skipped frequently. I got an A-.

7/28/05

J365

Very helpful and accomidating. The course only has about 14 students, and therefore she really takes the time to help all the students.

6/9/05

J204

She wrote the book, always has sexual innuendos, really doesn't even look at the student's work, if i don't pass this class, i dont' think i could stand another term with her.

5/24/05

j204

julie is alright, the material is slighty repetitive and visual communications could be taught in a more interesting way.

2/23/05

J204

Nice, but talks to class like we are three. Class time is relatively worthless. EVERYTHING is ALWAYS related to "rational and intuitive mind", it's overkill. Assignments: easy but take forever. Tests are thrown together because she feels she has to give a test. She wrote book, it's terrible

More Journalism professors at University of Oregon