Allen Jones at Portland Community College

Allen Jones

Number of ratings 15 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

12/16/13

MUSC205

I don't understand why anyone would find him attractive. I thought the class was more of a music appreciation class. No discussion was involved during the whole class or what was happening during the era's of the music genre. Listen to music, Read book, Study.

3/24/13

History of Rock

Allen is great. I thorughly enjoyed his class and looked forward to going each week. He's really passionate about what he teaches and that transfers to his students. I hope to take classes from him in the future.

12/5/11

MUS204

Alan is a great instructor. He doesn't just teach the history of Jazz, he provides some really interesting back stories on the performers! I am not a music student, but always felt included and appreciated in his class. Especially loved that the only homework was to "go out and listen to some live Jazz"!

3/9/11

MUS206

History of rock and roll - lots of fun. You get to listen to a lot of really great music, learn some fun trivia, and connect the dots between rock sub-genres. Geared towards all students, not just those in the music program. Lots of fun class participation and a few videos.

1/3/11

MUS205

I've taken this same class twice with two separate professors. Both are great professor's in there own respect but I certainly picked up a lot more from Jones' class than I did my previous time taking the course at another institution.

2/22/10

MUS206

Great teacher! Good class! Earnestly wants to teach music history.

5/28/09

jazz204

awesome, is an understatement! the man clearly loves teaching, is energetic- witty & very clear. I highly rec any class you can take with him. I have taken the 3 term music history sequence with him & am sorry it's almost over!

4/2/09

histrnr

so great... just..really..awesome

4/26/08

MUS205

I was a music lover before taking Allen's History of Jazz class. Now I am a jazz music lover as well. Allen is a GREAT teacher, totally down to earth & super nice. His own love of music is obvious as is his experience as a musician. I would definaly recommend both this class & this teacher to anyone who wants a class they will utterly enjoy!

4/1/08

muc145

AWESOME TEACHER! Perfect timing, everything he told me had been only a tiny step away from me already knowing it, and I went from never having played a guitar, and three months later I was performing live easily. Totally recomend him, absolutely the best teacher I've had yet. No Txtbk.

3/10/07

MUS234

I've taken Allen for two classes, that were the business based classes. Tax preparation and Business for the Musician. I loved him. These were seminars so they were all day and I NEVER got bored. Learned way more in one day than in a whole quarter from other professors.

7/26/06

Guitar/Mus Hist

One of the best teachers around. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of music, he is a fantastic musician, and he's one of the kindest people I've ever met, to boot.

4/5/06

History of Rock

One of the best that PCC has to offer!

9/11/05

Mus hist

Probably my most favorite classes that I have ever taken.

3/4/05

MUS 205/206/207

I took the three class "intro" sequence with him, and I just love him. He's so in to what he's discussing, and he's really clear about his expectations. He also is in a band that plays at The Portlander. How cool is that? I highly recommend taking a class with him.

More Music professors at Portland Community College