in Butler University that teach Humanities Edit
Professor in the Humanities department
at Butler University, Indianapolis, IN
are you James McGrath?

10/21/2014
FYS 101 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

He's very condescending and seems very rude when asking for help. I would advise not taking his class because he can't keep the class discussion going. The papers are not clear whatsoever and he grades them rather toughly.

11/08/2012
FYS101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

My FYS with McGrath was Faith, Doubt and Reason and I hated it. The topic of the class sounded somewhat interesting, but it is so confusing. The paper topics were impossible to understand completely and everything revolved around philosophical questions that don't have answers. He wasn't good at stimulating conversation and the class was boring.

04/23/2010
good
RL375 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I had him for sci-fi & religion, which was a lot of fun anyway. I found myself asking a lot of questions that had never before occurred to me about God, the universe and everything. I strongly recommend this class (especially if you like, Star Trek, LOST and sci-fi in general).

03/24/2010
good
RL202 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Class was different than I expected. I know a lot about the Bible and what it contains, but his class studied it like it was a literature piece. So we disected its accuracy, origin, authors, etc. It was very interesting information, but sometimes was a challenge to my faith. But I took the good and didnt worry about the bad. Book was intense

01/14/2010
good
RL222 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Granted, I had McGrath for an unusual class--science fiction & religion--but I had a great time. We pretty much geeked out on Star Trek and Lost (we got credit for watching it) the whole time, but still managed to have deep, meaningful conversations about spirituality and the philosophy of science fiction. Plus, he looks like a jolly leprechaun.

01/25/2009
RL202 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He is probably one of the most boring teachers you could ever come across. All he does is come in the class everyday and talk for an hour and then you leave. It is probably the most waste of time I have ever had at Butler. If you want a good nap then he is the professor for you, other than that don't do it.

08/22/2008
RL202 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Boring teacher. The class should be pretty easy as you just complete 10/20 papers on your own schedule. However, you never know if you're writing about what he wants and he doesn't really tell you why you got that A--- instead of just an A-. You learn little about the Bible in this class and you end up hating the class which makes it tough

04/15/2008
RL202 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

extremely boring, but you do not have to do as much work as some of the other classes similar to this one. He grades papers very weird and will not tell you what grade or percentage you have in the class, because he probably doesnt even know! He is a little picky when he grades your papers, but overall, it is an easier class than some of the others

03/17/2008
RL202 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

He just assigned 20 papers to write and you had to choice 10 of them to write. Writing subjects were unclear at times and sometimes hard to write. He grades differently i got a B++ on a paper not sure what that is. Boring class all in all. Meet three times a day went probably one to two times a week. Also his method of teaching NO TEST OR FINAL

04/19/2007

A very dry professor. Hard to stay awake in class. Also is not clear about what he wants you to write about in your papers so you write them to what you think he wants and then he gives you a bad grade because you couldn't read his mind. Would NOT recommend him AT ALL!

05/08/2006
RL 371 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He talks the whole time about philosophy of religion and ignores science. Students sit while he drags on. He can have an ok sense of humor but he ruins it because he always comments on how good his sense of humor is. How about this James, If your funny we will laugh. Don't tell me how funny you are.

04/06/2006
PL203 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

04/20/2005
good
RL201 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A