Optimism One at Modesto Junior College

Optimism One

Number of ratings 70 / Average Grade:  C- Submit a correction

6/30/14

ENG 161

No doubt, Op grades tough, but if you ask him about why you got the grade and how to improve, he will help you. His style is not for everyone, as he expects his students to advocate for themselves. I don't necessarily consider this a bad thing. He just wants his students to act like college students. Work hard, show interest, get the grade.

5/14/14

ENGL 161

Grade ReceivedWD

It's ironic that his grade here is a D+ when that's most likely the average grade his students receive. His comments do not reflect the grade you will receive. "Exactly what I want to see" is equal to a C. His style of grading is one that expects you to read his mind and create the perfect paper. Effort is meaningless. Not good for a film class.

5/10/14

English 103

Grade ReceivedC

I EARNED a C. I was a President's List entrant for the first 3 semesters before this class. You MUST do the reading, You MUST attend class.You MUST be prepared to write four short essays, 3 long essays, homework everyday, plus reading. He is a nice enough guy, but forget about any prior writing achievements. You will not get out of here with an A.

5/3/14

english 103

He's errogant. He grades really hard and doesn't care how much effort you put into your work. It seems as though he grades solely on grammar and not content of your essay. He will say that you have a good essay but still give you D on it. Only take him if you are an english major or are an extremeley good writer otherwise DON'T!!!!!!!!!!

5/2/14

Eng 103

Grade ReceivedWD

By far the worst professor I have had in my 3 years of college! He kicked me out of class for having my phone on me when i used the restroom. We're in college not high school.Very ridiculous. He is power hungry and uses his power as a teacher to intimidate his students. He will tell you your paper is great and still give you an F. Do NOT take him!

5/2/14

ENG 161

Grade ReceivedD

Do NOT take him. I just took him for film appreciation and it was horrible. He never lectured about any of the material in the textbook. All we did was watch movies and talk about the films, however the final was literally just the textbook. He grades way too hard. I'd recommend trying someone else!

4/8/14

Grade ReceivedD

Op was a nice teacher and the topics covered in class were all relevant and helpful but he is a very very hard grader. there's essays every week. I did all of the assignments and some how still ended up with a grade that was not passing. His final is also worth 40% of your grade. even he said that not even half of this students pass his class.

1/17/14

ENGL 101

I took a hybrid English 101 class with Professor Op. If you're looking for an easy A do not take this class with him because it is a lot of work. However, his instructions are clear and he is happy to help if you ask questions or meet him during office hours. If you work hard, and follow his instructions carefully then you will do well.

12/4/13

English 101

Truth...SAVE YOUR DIGNITY & DO NOT TAKE OPTIMISM ONE! I took this class so I would learn further. All I recieved was Optimism One an Instructor that fails his own English curriculum and the entire class by not being worthy to teach.

12/2/13

English 101

This teacher failed me even though I wrote over a 1000 words every weekend and who knows how many words a week. He required us to write 3 pages a day Mon-Sun I went to every class and did almost every homework yet I got a F do not take this teacher you learn nothing while he sits by and grades you based on things you don't know nor did he teach you

11/17/13

Englis 101

I had read other students ratings prior to taking the class. I signed up for the class with much trepidation. Professor Op was very helpful and easy to talk to. He makes you work for your grade, and I appreciate that. He is clear on assignments and expectations and repeatedly lets the class know he is available if help is needed. Loved the class!!

11/17/13

ENG-101

I didn't procrastinate with my work. I attended every class. I even went to him for help with my essay's. And he still gave me a D which is essentially a fail. He is not clear about the grading. He will say one thing and do another. He is self absorbed and wants everyone to already know how write like a published author. Don't recommend at all.

8/12/13

ENG 101

I love school. I love my teachers, and because of this, they love me. But this was BY FAR, the WORST teacher/student experience I've ever had. Optimism One believes he is there to EVALUATE you to see if you are worthy of being at the school. He is NOT interested in teaching you anything. NOTE: Check the material before signing up for the class.

6/27/13

ENG 101

The material we read and discussed stayed with me for years. Op's insightful, thoughtful, & purposeful about the source material. he was ridiculously tough at grading but encouraged environ of discussion. we sat in a circle. every voice was heard. expectations are high for the writing. work hard. it's science to write well. it's college folks

12/4/12

film161

This professor is a joke. I took a film appreciation class! supposed to be easy got a C. His reviews should be worse than what they are.You will regret this dont do it save yourself

5/2/12

Film161

Professor One is one of the most authentic professors at MJC. He expects college level work. He also is very welcoming when you go to his office to ask for help. He provides you with everything you need in order to pass the class. The only reason i got a C was because i procrastinated, do the work and you'll be fine. Would highly recommend!

4/12/12

ENG101

I wouldnt recommend this teacher. If you have dont format papers exactly right he automatically docks ten points. I've always been an excellent essay writer and his instruction and critique made me feel like I was at kindergarten level.

12/18/11

ENG103

ENG103 = crit thinking/advance comp. If you think critically about the textbooks, you will offend the instructor. If you offend the instructor, you will fail the course. I completed all assignments in a timely manner. What feedback was given, was given 5-6 weeks into the semester (after the first major essay was due). Wish I had more room. Bad

12/17/11

eng103

He is very strict on grading and whenever I asked questions he was gave unclear answers not a very good online class.

12/16/11

ENG103

I would not recommend him. If you do not see things from his hippie-ish point of view it seems you will receive a lower grade. Comes across as arrogant. The material was fairly easy to read. I spent much time on his essays and his comments would be positive yet he'd assign me a C grade. Very contradicting and misleading.

More English professors at Modesto Junior College