in Mesa Community College that teach English Edit
Richard Felnagle
at Mesa Community College, Mesa, AZ
are you Richard Felnagle?

4 Professor's Notes
09/04/2014
good
HUM 250 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: A

Strict guidelines and requirements does not make him a poor instructor! His enthusiasm & dry humor is awesome. ALL info CLEARLY posted. Emails reminders/ announcements regularly-DETAILED Study Guides provided-Extends everything BUT final-FOLLOW DIRECTIONS specific but CLEAR-4wk Summer INTENSE but I loved! ALL info avail if you take the time to read

05/16/2014
HUM251 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Class can get confusing because of the layout of modules. You can literally skip all the videos and the Intro's/Overviews to the modules and still easily complete the module. He takes the papers very seriously so do a good job on those and you will pass. Try to stay 1 module ahead of the schedule, it pays off.

12/20/2013
good
HUM250 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Loved it, finished it in less than a week! I absolutely hate history, but it was fun since it included literature and music. 15 quizzes (can take quizzes an unlimited amount of times) and 2 essays (only 750 words each), 87.5% = A! It really does make me want to travel to Pont-du-Gard in France, Constantine's basilica in Germany, and much more.

10/22/2013
ENG101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Very rude. Blames missed deadlines and "poor" submitted work that was his fault on the student. Grumpy almost every day when he comes to class. The only good thing is that he responds quickly to messages. Otherwise, take someone else as your English teacher.

10/16/2013
good
HUM250 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Richard's class is not for those wanting to skate through an easy online course. He provides all his own material so you don't have to buy a textbook, and the material is extremely entertaining/informative at the same time. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time studying and writing, but in my opinion it was well worth the money. Great course!

01/02/2013
HUM250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

The class isn't difficult but he is. His lectures are all online, boring although he is animated. I tried hard to understand his questions which usually resulted in him telling me I missed the point. I got tired of hearing it and gave up. Not sure what he wanted; very unclear. Lots of work, reading the lectures etc. Take anyone else but him!

11/16/2012
HUM250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Horrible teacher. Not clear on what he wants with papers and discussions. Had us watch many videos in real player format. I hadn't seen real player videos since early 2000's FAR behind the times technologically.

11/15/2012
HUM250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I'm a 3.8 GPA student with 120 college credits. I've completed Freshman-Senior level classes. This is NOT a Sophomore level course. This is a 3-cr course, but the reading/studying required is as though it's a 5-cr course. He says there's a problem with all of us, but if all his students are subpar to his standards, it may be his teaching methods!

10/31/2012
EngAaab Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Very very poor teacher, grades based off his feelings and how he feels that day, not the work you did. Definantly recommend taking somebody else

08/15/2012
HUM250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Well, he certainly put a lot of time into his modules but there is a lot of material to cover (expect to study for 6-8 hours per quiz and there are a ton of them). Also many test questions have two correct answers which is frustrating but only one will be 'correct'. Grade 'A' students will struggle to get a B. If GPA is important look elsewhere.

Last Updated:

I am sorry that some students feel they don't understand my writing assignments, but I think the reason is that they are expecting to be assigned research papers, and my assignments ask them to think critically about the readings. However, I define criteria for all assignments, and I don't grade based on how I feel that day.

Last Updated:

A student has alleged that I try to trick students with multiple-choice quizzes with more than one correct answer. Absolutely not true. The quizzes are taken directly from the readings, and there is only one correct answer per question.

Last Updated:

I have removed all Real Player media from my courses. I started using Real media years ago because that was what the college provided. Now, I provide the highest quality streaming media I can from a variety of sources using embedded players that will work on most tablets and smart phones.

Last Updated:

Some students have complained about the length of the readings. In all fairness, though, they include a lot of streaming media, and everything is provided online at no additional cost to the students. An average student completes the readings in two or three hours per week. I know because I can see how much time students spend on these readings.