Alphonse Mutima at University of North Carolina

Alphonse Mutima

Number of ratings 11 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

12/11/12

Swah403

Bwana Mutima is very well-intentioned person, but he is also very disorganized. Sometimes he has trouble understanding American culture/what a student is asking, but if you do the work, show some interest, and respect him, he will enjoy having you in the class, and you will get a good grade.

4/21/10

SWAH401

Bwana Mutima had a very easy class. He made it easy to learn, but was not as helpful as he could be. He expects you to aturomatically understand what he is teaching. I found the class to be extremely easy and made an A. He does pick favorites..so just try your best.

3/25/10

SWAH402

Swahili is a hard language to learn, but Mutima's passion for the subject makes it a lot easier. He picks favorites, usually the ones that are better at the language. I was not one of those people but I've learned a good amount and plan to continue on with Mutima. Also he is VERY unorganized.

8/18/08

swah101

This is a very difficult language...i was stressed out the entire time..However he looked at effort in the end and curved me up to the C..... JUST BE WILLING TO WORK HARD. As a teacher, not good. But an understanding individual

2/25/08

swah403

I love Bwana Mutima. Yes, he does pick favorites, but if you are nice to him, try hard, are interested in the subject, you will get a good grade. If you make fun of him, backtalk, and do not respect him, you will get a bad grade. Very African in terms of his outlook on life, but if you understand him you will love him. Very wonderful man.

3/2/07

SwAH403

very passinate about the subject

12/27/06

Swah3

I did get a B in the class. But it was very stressful. Not willing to help, and I constantly received low low looow grades. I was stressing over it thee whole time, and office hours were a joke. All he did was blame me for the grades. In the end, like I said, I did get a B, but I wouldnt suggest that anyone go thru this to get the grade...

12/12/05

SWAHILI 3

The class was just hard.. he wasnt very helpful.. the athletes in the class semmeed to ruin it for everyone

6/24/05

SWAHILI

I got an 'A' in this class. I worked hard and I think it was one of the most deserved and most effective 'A's that I've earned while at UNC.

6/16/05

SWAH 1-2

I WAS A STUDENT IN BWANA MUTIMA'S CLASS FOR THE 1ST SESSION OF SUMMER SCHOOL. NEVER HAVE I FELT THIS COMFORTABLE WITH LEARNING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE. BWANA MUTIMA IS ENCOURAGING & PUTS A GREATER EMPHASIS ON COMPREHENSION & EFFORT THAN 'FLAWLESS WORK.' AS BWANA SAYS 'THE INDIVIDUAL HAS TO PUT EFFORT IN LEARNING.. & YOU CANT LEARN IT ALL OVERNIGHT.'

5/14/05

Kiswahili 3

very unorganized....not willing to help students, sometimes will even complain if you ask(its not like its his job or anything)...picks favorites and grades accordingly...tests are short and not a good representation of material...I took three semesters of Swahili and feel like I learned nothing

More African-American Studies professors at University of North Carolina