in University of North Carolina that teach African-American Studies Edit
at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
are you Alphonse Mutima?

12/11/2014
good
SWAH 401 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A
"Respected by students" "Would take again"

Professor Mutima made the class interesting! Don't expect this to be an easy A. You have to put in the effort to learn a new language. However, as long as you study and do the assignments, you should be fine. There were a lot of assignments to buffer your grade.

11/02/2014
good
455 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A
"Inspirational" "Would take again" "Respected by students"

He's super nice and inspirational. Great guy from the DR Congo.

12/11/2012
Swah403 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Bwana Mutima is very well-intentioned person, but he is also very disorganized. Sometimes he has trouble understanding American culture/what a student is asking, but if you do the work, show some interest, and respect him, he will enjoy having you in the class, and you will get a good grade.

04/21/2010
good
SWAH401 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Bwana Mutima had a very easy class. He made it easy to learn, but was not as helpful as he could be. He expects you to aturomatically understand what he is teaching. I found the class to be extremely easy and made an A. He does pick favorites..so just try your best.

03/25/2010
SWAH402 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Swahili is a hard language to learn, but Mutima's passion for the subject makes it a lot easier. He picks favorites, usually the ones that are better at the language. I was not one of those people but I've learned a good amount and plan to continue on with Mutima. Also he is VERY unorganized.

08/18/2008
swah101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

This is a very difficult language...i was stressed out the entire time..However he looked at effort in the end and curved me up to the C..... JUST BE WILLING TO WORK HARD. As a teacher, not good. But an understanding individual

02/25/2008
good
swah403 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I love Bwana Mutima. Yes, he does pick favorites, but if you are nice to him, try hard, are interested in the subject, you will get a good grade. If you make fun of him, backtalk, and do not respect him, you will get a bad grade. Very African in terms of his outlook on life, but if you understand him you will love him. Very wonderful man.

03/02/2007
SwAH403 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

very passinate about the subject

12/27/2006
Swah3 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I did get a B in the class. But it was very stressful. Not willing to help, and I constantly received low low looow grades. I was stressing over it thee whole time, and office hours were a joke. All he did was blame me for the grades. In the end, like I said, I did get a B, but I wouldnt suggest that anyone go thru this to get the grade...

12/12/2005
SWAHILI 3 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The class was just hard.. he wasnt very helpful.. the athletes in the class semmeed to ruin it for everyone

06/24/2005
good
SWAHILI Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I got an 'A' in this class. I worked hard and I think it was one of the most deserved and most effective 'A's that I've earned while at UNC.

06/16/2005
good
SWAH 1-2 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I WAS A STUDENT IN BWANA MUTIMA'S CLASS FOR THE 1ST SESSION OF SUMMER SCHOOL. NEVER HAVE I FELT THIS COMFORTABLE WITH LEARNING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE. BWANA MUTIMA IS ENCOURAGING & PUTS A GREATER EMPHASIS ON COMPREHENSION & EFFORT THAN 'FLAWLESS WORK.' AS BWANA SAYS 'THE INDIVIDUAL HAS TO PUT EFFORT IN LEARNING.. & YOU CANT LEARN IT ALL OVERNIGHT.'

05/14/2005
Kiswahili 3 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

very unorganized....not willing to help students, sometimes will even complain if you ask(its not like its his job or anything)...picks favorites and grades accordingly...tests are short and not a good representation of material...I took three semesters of Swahili and feel like I learned nothing