in Santa Monica College that teach Art Edit
Professor in the Art department
at Santa Monica College, Santa Monica, CA
are you Jeff O'Connell?

11/07/2013
20A Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

In my opinion he is hard person , never praise. grade your work very strict. He thinks that we all had a good drawing background... Some things are helpfull but not clear understood. I would not reccomend him if you do not want to feel pressure everytime.

11/19/2012
artArt Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He can only teach the craftmanship. He failed to be a successful fine artist himself so he abuses the students to compensate. I do not recommend if you are soft minded. Do not listen to all what he says except the skills to draw. I think a great teacher should not be judging and have love for all students. He shows clear prefernce of students.

09/13/2012
good
Art003 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Life Drawing. Tough & talented teacher. Bit of a liar though -- said nobody had ever done his extra credit project, but if someone did it they would get an A. So I did the project, took about 6 Sundays. He raised my grade from a B to a B+. AND he still tells his students it's never been done. I'm holding a grudge!

11/20/2011
art2 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

He puts people down to make himself feel better I think. He is a great drawer and can kinda teach you how but thats all he is, a drawer and I think he holds that bitterness against the students and makes them feel like they aren't good enough instead of helping and encouraging them like he should. Good drawer, ok at teaching, jerk of a guy. and old

09/20/2011
ART21A Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Talks too much about nothing relevant to the class.

07/14/2011
good
Drawg3 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Best professor I've had in college (and I already have a BA degree). The guy has real world experience, tells it like it is. True: he has High expecatations and pushes students to become better. If you want an easy A, be cautious, if you want to become better, have a career in art/graphics/fashion related (and HIREABLE) take Jeff's class.

06/17/2011
good
ART21A Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Eccentric in both personality and technique. Doesn't "rant" so much as ramble on too much. Had us buy charcoal but never use it. Discussed anatomy but never taught proportions, though we had a sub who did. Nice person, if a bit distant. Tough grader. Challenging class despite "optional" homework; you must work outside of class to really improve.

12/22/2010
good
ART4026 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I finished his class just by the end of this fall. He is amazing. He encouraged all the class members a lot. He is also funny. Great teacher.

10/22/2010
good
art21a Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I dread going. I loved figure drawing before taking his class, but now I hate it. He puts the class down for no reason, tells us we will never succeed in art, sais half of us dont belong in class but wont say which ones, and rambles on off topic for hours. He knows his stuff, but his attitude is impossible to deal with. Take another teacher.

09/23/2010
ART10A Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I read this comment, and felt the exact same: I hated going to class everynight. He is a HARD grader and I worked extreemly hard on all my assignments. He praises the perfect art and if its not perfect in his eyes it's C work..The only good thing about the class was the practice drawing during the class. However, He was very strict and rude.