Jeff O'Connell at Santa Monica College

Jeff O'Connell

Number of ratings 31 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

11/7/13

20A

In my opinion he is hard person , never praise. grade your work very strict. He thinks that we all had a good drawing background... Some things are helpfull but not clear understood. I would not reccomend him if you do not want to feel pressure everytime.

11/19/12

artArt

He can only teach the craftmanship. He failed to be a successful fine artist himself so he abuses the students to compensate. I do not recommend if you are soft minded. Do not listen to all what he says except the skills to draw. I think a great teacher should not be judging and have love for all students. He shows clear prefernce of students.

9/13/12

Art003

Life Drawing. Tough & talented teacher. Bit of a liar though -- said nobody had ever done his extra credit project, but if someone did it they would get an A. So I did the project, took about 6 Sundays. He raised my grade from a B to a B+. AND he still tells his students it's never been done. I'm holding a grudge!

11/20/11

art2

He puts people down to make himself feel better I think. He is a great drawer and can kinda teach you how but thats all he is, a drawer and I think he holds that bitterness against the students and makes them feel like they aren't good enough instead of helping and encouraging them like he should. Good drawer, ok at teaching, jerk of a guy. and old

9/20/11

ART21A

Talks too much about nothing relevant to the class.

7/14/11

Drawg3

Best professor I've had in college (and I already have a BA degree). The guy has real world experience, tells it like it is. True: he has High expecatations and pushes students to become better. If you want an easy A, be cautious, if you want to become better, have a career in art/graphics/fashion related (and HIREABLE) take Jeff's class.

6/17/11

ART21A

Eccentric in both personality and technique. Doesn't "rant" so much as ramble on too much. Had us buy charcoal but never use it. Discussed anatomy but never taught proportions, though we had a sub who did. Nice person, if a bit distant. Tough grader. Challenging class despite "optional" homework; you must work outside of class to really improve.

12/22/10

ART4026

I finished his class just by the end of this fall. He is amazing. He encouraged all the class members a lot. He is also funny. Great teacher.

10/22/10

art21a

I dread going. I loved figure drawing before taking his class, but now I hate it. He puts the class down for no reason, tells us we will never succeed in art, sais half of us dont belong in class but wont say which ones, and rambles on off topic for hours. He knows his stuff, but his attitude is impossible to deal with. Take another teacher.

9/23/10

ART10A

I read this comment, and felt the exact same: I hated going to class everynight. He is a HARD grader and I worked extreemly hard on all my assignments. He praises the perfect art and if its not perfect in his eyes it's C work..The only good thing about the class was the practice drawing during the class. However, He was very strict and rude.

8/23/10

art21A

He is amazing. He is the best professor if you REALLY wanna learn, his class is hard but its good! :D

6/2/10

ART21B

Good mix of techniques, though I agree it would be good to get more drawing in with figure for a 5 hour class. Would prefer 3.5-4hr class twice a week. Maybe start class with drawing and force students to read some basic drawing books as homework. If you are self motivated and work outside of class you can get a lot of knowledge and help from Jeff.

1/6/10

ART20AB

I've taken three of his drawing classes, 20A, B and 21A. He's the best drawing teacher. His classes are very hard but you will learn how to draw if you follow his direction and work your butt off. It's worth it! He does like to banter, but it's insightful about either personal creativity or the state of art in the world. He truly cares.

11/21/09

art21

( ART 21 A )for a 5 hour class i would expect to get about 4 hours of drawing time, but instead he rambles pointelssly off topic while the live model is wasted. for a figure class take someone else. I dont care about how long he taught at Otis...

6/19/09

ART20A

Jeff is one of the most amazing professors I have ever had. He completely changed the way I see the world. This is not an easy class by any means. Every assignment is going to be the most challenging thing you will ever do. He is incredibly nice, intelligent, and helpful. I wish I could take this class again, I learned so much.

5/13/09

ART4028

O'Connell is an amazing teacher!!! If you work hard, you will learn so much and your whole world changes!! He is very fun and chatty in class and extremely passionate. He really wants to see the students improve and create art. I love him and plan on taking him for figure drawing as well. He is genuine, witty and just an absolute delight!!

5/13/09

art20a

He's a harsh teacher but really nice. He's very helpful when you have any problem on ur drawings. He teachs all the basic drawings theories and technique which is very important for the beginner. There is a lot of hard-working homework. It's not a easy "A" class but you can learn a lot even ur not an art major student!

12/23/08

Art20A

Excellent Art mentor and fair player; you will be amazed to see the improvements with your drawings from one assignment to the next, totally recommended. He doesn?t hypocrite poor drawings. He is very generous in giving a chance to correct your homework?s, just attend the class and follow directions and you?ll get ?A?.

12/12/08

ART20A

If you're a first time art student, If you want praise and an easy A, this is not the prof. for you. But If you want to truly learn how to draw and how not to cheat yourself out of a learning experience, if you want to learn to take responsibility and do the hard work it takes go be good, he'll teach you. If you don't, he'll know it.

6/21/08

ART20A

First organized art instructor, teaches drawing - does not just critique - says SPECIFICALLY what you do wrong and right and why/how. Hard grader -- you'll be happy with a "B". Learned a lot, will take him again. To learn art take him - to get A's - don't.

More Art professors at Santa Monica College