Michelle Abate at Hollins University

Michelle Abate

Number of ratings 14 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

1/9/11

ENG206

Abate is one of the most effective English teachers I've ever had. Her classes are challenging, but her demeanor is easy-going and is actually interested in her students. I highly recommend taking a class with her.

3/18/10

Childlit

I've graduated now and the longer I am out of college the more thankful I am for Prof Abate and her classes. Of all the Eng profs I had at Hollins she is the one who really taught me how to write: clear, well-supported, argumentative essays, with no slang, no personal pronouns, no informal/chatty tones. I am so grateful that she pushed me.

3/10/10

travwrit

I was also in that j-term course to japan on travel writing, and prof abate was awesome. she is one of the most caring, eneregetic and involved professors at hollins. Just because she doesn't know everything there is to know about anime was reason enough for a group of students in that class to gang up on her. that is just wrong. She is great.

9/15/09

ENG300

I took a children's literature class with Abate studying "tomboyism". Abate made up this term, and every time she used it, it made me cringe -- it just sounds weird. Although the books that we read were interesting, I felt like I was back in elementary school. I can't believe that this class actually passes as a 300 level English class!

12/20/08

ENG200

An asset to Hollins.

9/5/08

travewrit

I took a J-term class with her which she turned into a honeymoon for her and her girlfriend. Spent absolutely no time with her students and didn't even bother looking at the work we did. I had a horrible experience

4/14/08

ENG342

She somehow manages to make a 300 lvl English course feel like a class in 5th grade. Her lesson formats are repetitive and ineffective, and her teaching style is vaguely patronizing. I would not take a class with her ever again.

1/4/08

Engli220

This professor has the most amazing blackboard site!! Chock full of information on the subject matter. It could easily be a full time job just creating it. Take advantage of it!I was in over my head and found critical analysis very difficult. But I learned a lot in this class and it made me a stronger writer.

8/7/07

ENG580

Excellent teacher. Great use of technology in the classroom. LET'S YOU REVISE AND RESUBMIT!

12/27/06

eng281

honestly, i thought this class was going to be boring because of the subject matter, but it was amazing. prof abate made colonial amer lit really interesting. the class actually became my favorite one last semester.

3/21/06

ENG 250

Took Lesbian Pulp Fiction with Abate. She is very clear on her assignments. She has an incredible revision policy on all of her essay assignments. She definitely makes you work for the grade. She's very informative and a definite asset to Hollins.

12/19/05

Amer Lit 282

Every English major on campus should be required to take this class. It was amazingly informative.

12/14/05

ENG 160

Sometimes I thought that she graded too hard and assigned too much work for a 100 level course, but my writing really did improve and I learned a lot about how to analyze a literary text, especially ones that are unusual, challenging, difficult, political, bizarre, etc

11/27/05

ENG 282

this was a great class. i learned a ton. prof abate knows not only a lot about american literature but also history. her paper assignments can be tough, but she is really interested in seeing you learn and succeed.

More English professors at Hollins University