in Hollins University that teach English Edit
at Hollins University, Roanoke, VA
are you Michelle Abate?

01/09/2011
good
ENG206 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Abate is one of the most effective English teachers I've ever had. Her classes are challenging, but her demeanor is easy-going and is actually interested in her students. I highly recommend taking a class with her.

03/18/2010
good
Childlit Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I've graduated now and the longer I am out of college the more thankful I am for Prof Abate and her classes. Of all the Eng profs I had at Hollins she is the one who really taught me how to write: clear, well-supported, argumentative essays, with no slang, no personal pronouns, no informal/chatty tones. I am so grateful that she pushed me.

03/10/2010
good
travwrit Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I was also in that j-term course to japan on travel writing, and prof abate was awesome. she is one of the most caring, eneregetic and involved professors at hollins. Just because she doesn't know everything there is to know about anime was reason enough for a group of students in that class to gang up on her. that is just wrong. She is great.

09/15/2009
ENG300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I took a children's literature class with Abate studying "tomboyism". Abate made up this term, and every time she used it, it made me cringe -- it just sounds weird. Although the books that we read were interesting, I felt like I was back in elementary school. I can't believe that this class actually passes as a 300 level English class!

12/20/2008
good
ENG200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

An asset to Hollins.

09/05/2008
travewrit Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I took a J-term class with her which she turned into a honeymoon for her and her girlfriend. Spent absolutely no time with her students and didn't even bother looking at the work we did. I had a horrible experience

04/14/2008
ENG342 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

She somehow manages to make a 300 lvl English course feel like a class in 5th grade. Her lesson formats are repetitive and ineffective, and her teaching style is vaguely patronizing. I would not take a class with her ever again.

01/04/2008
good
Engli220 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

This professor has the most amazing blackboard site!! Chock full of information on the subject matter. It could easily be a full time job just creating it. Take advantage of it!I was in over my head and found critical analysis very difficult. But I learned a lot in this class and it made me a stronger writer.

08/07/2007
good
ENG580 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Excellent teacher. Great use of technology in the classroom. LET'S YOU REVISE AND RESUBMIT!

12/27/2006
good
eng281 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

honestly, i thought this class was going to be boring because of the subject matter, but it was amazing. prof abate made colonial amer lit really interesting. the class actually became my favorite one last semester.

03/21/2006
good
ENG 250 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Took Lesbian Pulp Fiction with Abate. She is very clear on her assignments. She has an incredible revision policy on all of her essay assignments. She definitely makes you work for the grade. She's very informative and a definite asset to Hollins.

12/19/2005
good
Amer Lit 282 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Every English major on campus should be required to take this class. It was amazingly informative.

12/14/2005
good
ENG 160 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Sometimes I thought that she graded too hard and assigned too much work for a 100 level course, but my writing really did improve and I learned a lot about how to analyze a literary text, especially ones that are unusual, challenging, difficult, political, bizarre, etc

11/27/2005
good
ENG 282 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

this was a great class. i learned a ton. prof abate knows not only a lot about american literature but also history. her paper assignments can be tough, but she is really interested in seeing you learn and succeed.