John Heroy at Virginia Commonwealth University

John Heroy

Number of ratings 19 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

12/2/09

honr299

Very nice guy, but hard to follow and is very unclear about when things are due. Has a tendency to ramble. A LOT.

3/3/09

MFA412

I was a grad studemt at VCU and let me tell you, I got through that program with my eyes closed. I didn't learn anything unless I taught myself. Often times I have considered giving back my MFA and forcing the higher ups to allow me to really earn it. In the en though, I own a gallery and make a living off my art. JOHN HEROY was the WORST i have ev

9/11/06

PHTO301

This class was as hard as you wanted to make it. We were given a view camera and told how to use it. If all you did was do what was asked then you only cheat yourself. I got alot out of thes class and found the teacher very helpful.

8/21/06

PHTO491

This was a class where I had to make a decision about what I wanted to do -- not what was assigned. When I as able to come up with an idea that was worth while he was very helpful.

8/21/06

PHTO341

I found is comments about my work helped me see where I was and from there I knew what I needed to do to advance my ideas.

6/26/06

PHTO 309

By far the worst professor I've ever had. He is incredibly easy and you will get an A, but you will learn absolutely nothing. He will start explaining something, stop half-way and say "Wait, let me start over". His grad student TA taught us everything. Heroy will nit-pick at your prints for no appranent reason. Impressive resume, but bad professor.

4/5/06

phto

Very informative. Interesting. Easy.

12/12/05

photo 380

.....no comment

9/19/05

View

He handed us a view camera and gave us assignments. We have had to teach myself how to use this camera when it is his job.

9/9/05

digital photo

ugh that's all i have to say

8/30/05

crap!

8/24/05

Digital Photo

Is not helpful at all. He is unclear most of the time. He will do your work for you instead of helping you figure out the Photoshop.. Very easy.

1/28/05

PHTO 380

12/2/04

Intermed. PHTO

Heroy is extremely picky about the technical quality and content of your photography. He will not specify what is wrong with the photograph, he will merely shake his head and hint at what is not quite right. He forces YOU to analyze your own photographs and to communicate your subject concisely.

11/20/04

PHTO 260

He does not give any positive feedback or criticism to his students’ works. Instead, Heroy focuses on the very minute details that should not matter over the whole picture. He has not said anything positive on any of my classmates’ works.

11/14/04

Photo

11/7/03

Photo

Rater Interest

He doen't help you in anything that you do. I pay money to go to this school and to find teachers that would take time to help kids achieve a goal. This man is a waste of space and should move out of the way to make room for some one new to come in.

7/16/03

PHTO 380

Rater Interest

*literally* pushes you aside to work on your project for you when you ask a question, so you learn nothing

10/21/02

PHTO341

Rater Interest

Gives no darkroom help @ all and his critiques can be brutal.

More Fine Arts professors at Virginia Commonwealth University