in Virginia Commonwealth University that teach Fine Arts Edit
Professor in the Fine Arts department
at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
are you John Heroy?

12/02/2009
honr299 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very nice guy, but hard to follow and is very unclear about when things are due. Has a tendency to ramble. A LOT.

03/03/2009
MFA412 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I was a grad studemt at VCU and let me tell you, I got through that program with my eyes closed. I didn't learn anything unless I taught myself. Often times I have considered giving back my MFA and forcing the higher ups to allow me to really earn it. In the en though, I own a gallery and make a living off my art. JOHN HEROY was the WORST i have ev

09/11/2006
good
PHTO301 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This class was as hard as you wanted to make it. We were given a view camera and told how to use it. If all you did was do what was asked then you only cheat yourself. I got alot out of thes class and found the teacher very helpful.

08/21/2006
good
PHTO491 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

This was a class where I had to make a decision about what I wanted to do -- not what was assigned. When I as able to come up with an idea that was worth while he was very helpful.

08/21/2006
good
PHTO341 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I found is comments about my work helped me see where I was and from there I knew what I needed to do to advance my ideas.

06/26/2006
PHTO 309 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

By far the worst professor I've ever had. He is incredibly easy and you will get an A, but you will learn absolutely nothing. He will start explaining something, stop half-way and say "Wait, let me start over". His grad student TA taught us everything. Heroy will nit-pick at your prints for no appranent reason. Impressive resume, but bad professor.

04/05/2006
good
phto Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Very informative. Interesting. Easy.

12/12/2005
photo 380 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

.....no comment

09/19/2005
View Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

He handed us a view camera and gave us assignments. We have had to teach myself how to use this camera when it is his job.

09/09/2005
digital photo Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

ugh that's all i have to say

08/30/2005
crap! Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

08/24/2005
Digital Photo Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Is not helpful at all. He is unclear most of the time. He will do your work for you instead of helping you figure out the Photoshop.. Very easy.

01/28/2005
PHTO 380 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

ugh

12/02/2004
good
Intermed. PHTO Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Heroy is extremely picky about the technical quality and content of your photography. He will not specify what is wrong with the photograph, he will merely shake his head and hint at what is not quite right. He forces YOU to analyze your own photographs and to communicate your subject concisely.

11/20/2004
PHTO 260 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

He does not give any positive feedback or criticism to his students’ works. Instead, Heroy focuses on the very minute details that should not matter over the whole picture. He has not said anything positive on any of my classmates’ works.

11/14/2004

11/07/2003
Photo Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

He doen't help you in anything that you do. I pay money to go to this school and to find teachers that would take time to help kids achieve a goal. This man is a waste of space and should move out of the way to make room for some one new to come in.

07/16/2003
PHTO 380 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

*literally* pushes you aside to work on your project for you when you ask a question, so you learn nothing

10/21/2002
PHTO341 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: N/A Rater Interest: N/A Grade Received: N/A

Gives no darkroom help @ all and his critiques can be brutal.