James Cooney at University of Central Florida

James Cooney

Number of ratings 238 / Average Grade:  B+ Submit a correction

8/10/14

AST 2002

As a college senior I thought it would be an easy class. This was the most difficult & time consuming of my summer classes. The tests are difficult & I found that reading the textbook & not listening to the Prof made it easier for me to understand the material. I spent 6+ hours studying for each test. Do extra credit if offered only way I got a B!

8/8/14

AST 2002

If you do not like astronomy take another class. This is not an easy class at all. I took this class in summer: 3 tests, online homework, clicker questions in class, extra credit book to read. If you take the class make sure to read the extra credit book as it can boost your grade. He teaches well and he knows his stuff, the tests are just hard.

8/5/14

Ast 2002

Grade ReceivedB

Really cool and funny professor. Go to class and ask questions if you don't understand

5/19/14

AST 2002

This class is not an easy A, but if you work hard its possible! Cooney is very passionate about AST and very sweet/helpful. iclickers are used for attendance, textbook is helpful for homework. I mostly got B's and a C on his tests and did well on hw, ended up with an A since he curves your grade at the end. he makes astronomy interesting!

5/8/14

Grade ReceivedC

Professor Cooney is a really nice guy. I found his exams to be insanely hard. I have no interest in science, but I spent at least 6 hours studying for each exam in addition to attending almost every class. I barely passed every exam, but I came out with a B. If you are not interested in astronomy, I would suggest another course.

5/4/14

PHY 2048

Having to rely on randomly assigned groupmates was the worst part of this class. I did much better on the tests when I went to Jim's review sessions. You have to read the book before coming to class or risk spending the entire class unnecessarily confused. The TAs were slow to grade and not very helpful but Cooney is great!

5/2/14

PHY2048C

Grade ReceivedB

The tests were very difficult, and he spent very little time lecturing in class. He expected you to know almost everything from reading the book, but the book was poorly written. Class average on the tests was a D and the average on the final was in the 50s. Don't do scale-up; you'll learn way more in a regular lecture.

5/2/14

PHY2048C

For Physics 1 he's a great choice. Very funny and clear. He cares about teaching and his students. Makes a hard subject like physics manageable. The book really helped me learn. Tests were pretty tough but the grading scale of the class was pretty fair. I did scale-up which i think was a good type of class.

4/29/14

AST 2002

Funny guy, homework assignments are a good way to boost your grade. Warning! Exams are hard!! Read book, and pay attention in class to do well.

4/23/14

AST 2002

This was a great class and I really enjoyed it. It's a GEP class so people were obnoxious, but Cooney is hilarious and a great teacher. As long as you put in a decent amount of effort, you'll do well.

4/11/14

AST2002

DO NOT TAKE. Very rude. I asked one question all semester and belittled me just for asking it. Very unclear of what to expect from the class and policies. Tests are very difficult, but he supposedly curves at the end. I have enjoyed every professor at UCF besides him. Again, try to avoid taking him if possible.

4/11/14

PHY 2048C

I had him for scale-up physics, not astronomy. He's nice, funny, and enthusiastic. I didn't like the class structure; the textbook, homework, and class lectures/activities were disconnected and made the material more confusing than it should have been. I wish he'd explained the concepts in class, as our book was crappy.

4/1/14

AST2012

This class is awful. I really wished someone warned me. He lectures without engaging the students and acts like your stupid for not knowing the material. The first day he bragged about how the average first test grade was a D. I will say he curves very high and the online quizzes are really easy. DO NOT take this class unless you have to.

3/26/14

AST2002

I will say that this class was difficult. But, in a sense, this is probably what a college course should be like. Be prepared to study very hard and learn the information very well. Although it may come off that the info is pretty general, his questions on the exam are not. Good luck!

3/18/14

AST2002

Professor Cooney is one of those professors who really enjoys what they're teaching. He's super nerdy and brings in visual aides to better explain a point so, he wants you to understand. His class isn't hard if you show up and listen.

3/17/14

AST2002

Cooney was a fantastic teacher! You can really see his passion for the subject in his lectures and presence. Class is not an easy A, but if you read the chapters and do the online quizzes, it definitely helps. Go to his office hours too, very helpful! LOVED THIS CLASS

2/25/14

AST 2012

This class is super easy. The only reason you even need to show up is for iClicker points, but if you just read through the textbook you are guaranteed an A.

12/30/13

AST 2002

Awesome professor! People complain about his tests but if you read the textbook and attend class, you should do fine.

12/19/13

AST 2002

This course wasn't as tough as I was expecting. I also don't know how people are complaining about the first test as I found it to be the easiest of all of them. The second was the toughest, but still not very hard. Since I had an A without applying a curve before the final I didn't have to take the final. The homework is also really easy as well.

12/17/13

AST 2002

He is funny and does things to make class interesting so I loved his class! Pretty easy because he gives an index card to be used on the tests! BUT you still need to study and understand the material to get higher than a C. He does have a good curve at the end though and tries his best to make everyone love astronomy. Overall, great class & teacher

More Science professors at University of Central Florida