in Grand Valley State University that teach English Edit
at Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI
are you Kirsten Bartels?

08/16/2013
good
HNR215 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Kirsten is an amazing professor. However, you need to be open minded about her classes. Don't go in expecting it to be like a high school class or even a college course. She has a very different way of teaching and her goal is to open you to the world. Not for closed minded, black and white textbook people!

06/08/2013
good
HNR 280 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Such a nice and kind lady. She truly cares about her students. Almost too much sometimes...doesn't know where to draw the lines with student-teacher relationships. Terribly easy course, never had homework or outside assignments. Best transition course into college for Honors. Perfect for anyone taking Live, Learn, Lead. Please take Kirsten!

02/26/2013
good
HNR280 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I love Kirsten! She is an absolutely amazing professor. She loves discussion, it got to the point that our class would show up with the reading done and be prepared to start with that and go in whatever direction conversation took us. Always understanding, helpful, and ready to listen.She makes college way different from high school classrooms!

01/30/2013
HNR280 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Kirsten is hands down my favorite professor. She took my freshman year and made it an entirely new experience. She promoted discussion, and not just surface-level. She is pretty unorganized, but will extend deadlines if asked for. Be open and friendly, and she will be a wonderful asset for the rest of your college career.Take her if you can!!

12/12/2012
good
HNR19 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Kirsten loves being a professor and is truly in her element when she's teaching. Not always consistent in her grading agenda, but she's a great person and I'm glad I had her as a professor.

12/10/2012
good

Influential, inspiring, open, kind. Not a class for learning, but personal reflection. Don't bother buying the books. You'll want to keep in touch with her throughout life.

12/09/2012
HNR280 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I love Kirsten! It is evident that she truly cares about each and every student. While she can be a little confusing regarding assignment directions and grading expectations, she will explain if you prod her. She is fairly laid-back. She administers interesting class discussions that are definitely worth while. No doubt you will enjoy this course!

12/07/2012
HNR280 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

I seriously love Professor Bartels. She brings up thought-provoking questions and runs a dialogue-centric classroom where everybody can feel comfortable voicing their opinions. Not only that, she cares about her students. This is a woman who offered to come to my dorm and give me tea-bags when I was sick. I'd certainly recommend.

12/16/2011
good
HNR280 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Professor Bartels is one of the most influential people I have met through my education. The two classes I took with her were very interesting and enjoyable. She was very helpful and caring throughout the semester. I definitely recommend taking her classes if you have the chance!

11/17/2011
good
HNR280 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Professor was easy to understand and very helpful. I was kept busy but never felt overwhelmed. She kept the class interesting by sharing anecdotes from time to time. I would definitely recommend taking classes with Professor Bartels.

11/16/2011
good
HNR280 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Kirsten is one of the most caring instructors I have ever met. She values everyone's opinion, and she makes her classroom feel like home. Not everyone agrees with her, but she is not afraid to voice her opinion and to challenge you to find the truth--what is right, not what's easy. She makes you think--can't wait to have her again next semester!

04/28/2011
ENG204 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Easily the worst professor I have had at Grand Valley. This was one class I was actually looking forward to learning about, but she did NOT teach, she sat us down and talked about her life for an hour 3 days a week. Her grading scale is based on how much she likes you. If she liked you, you got an A... If not, good luck!

03/10/2011
good
Lib100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

The best instructor I have ever had. She cared and took the extra time I needed. LIB

11/14/2010
LIB100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Horrible. Not clear whatsoever, incredibly unorganized, and I learned nothing. She doesn't teach you anything, but you still somehow do not get an A. I would highly recommend you stay away!!!

08/04/2010
good
LIB330 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Bartels was a great professor for this class. She encouraged us to make it our own and we had some great discussions during the semester. She was always interested in what we had to say and was funny too. I would recommend her any day.

01/14/2010
good
LIB330 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Bartels cares a lot about what she teaches. What other people say about her being unclear is untrue. She just believes that we should learn about what we care about. I think thats great in college, we are old enough to make our own decisions, not just follow blindly.

05/13/2009
LIB314 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

She made this class a waste of time. If I was supposed to learn anything, I didn't. Says you don't have to come to class, but marks you down if you don't. Grades really hard without a rubric or feedback. Likes to talk about herself A LOT.. not organized.. overall, waste of time.

04/25/2009
LIB100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

This class was a catastrophic failure! I learned nothing and the grading scale was super vague. She was totally taking her personal insecurities out on the class. She was no good. Stay clear of her for sure!

04/25/2009
ENG204 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Well this was my second class with Prof. Bartles. I tried to give her a second chance but she failed miserably at it. I think she needs to learn how to communicate with her students in English before she can teach it. Maybe a career change would benefit her and save future students from her mediocrity....

04/25/2009
Lib100 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

She was a HORRIBLE professor! The class objectives were unclear and it was graded very poorly. If she cared about her students it might be better. GVSU really set the bar low when they hired Prof. Bartles.