Rudolph Alexander at The Ohio State University

Number of ratings 30 / Average Grade:  B+ Submit a correction

12/6/13

SOC WORK 1140

Grade ReceivedB+

Material learned in class is practically pointless! Attendance is mandatory. Tests are pretty simple if you go through the chapters in the book. Gives a study guide before each test that tells the material that will be on the test. Lectures are just super boring and pointless. Definitely buy the book! You will need it to pass the class!

8/1/13

swk 1140

I did not enjoy the course at all. I am very passionate about social work and have received fairly good grades in other social work courses. He did not stay on topic in his lectures with what was in the required text for the course and he was not helpful when you asked him for help when he was unclear on things.

10/30/12

SOCWK1140

I get the impression Prof Alexander hates white people. Even so I'm white and I liked him. He's very intelligent and he's seen a lot. This class is more historical background and social justice than social work practice. Students often sat saying nothing, but I found if I commented in class he would respond-not always positively. Study the texts!

6/28/12

SWK300

I thought that Rudy was ridiculous with his expectations and wasn't clear about what he wanted for the paper. His study guides were confusing and vague and he would ask VERY specific questions on the exam. I got a B+ in the class but I had to study every single day for hours at a time. He talks about himself constantly. AVOID IF POSSIBLE!

3/8/12

SWK734

Not very helpful. Everything I learned came from the text and not lectures. He is condescending and not very clear about expectations. You will have to navigate the course on your own and hope for the best. I got an A by reading the text religiously, attending every lecture, spending 20+ hours on the research paper, and studying meticulously.

3/8/12

SWK300

Very boring class. He is very self-centered and loves to talk about himself. He prepares the worst notes to study. Reading the textbook is a must to do good on the exams. Aviod Rudolph if possible. Not a helpful professor at all.

6/4/11

SOC300

Professor is hard to follow in class and the notes are not up to date and not well organize. ALL of the exams questions are straight out of the book , so IMPORTANT to read the book.As far as his lectures, they are 90% his opinion and not relevant to to the exams.

5/12/11

SWK300

SO I GUESS I MUST HAVE SIGNED UP FOR HISTORY OF AFRICAN AMERICANS BECAUSE THIS CLASS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SOCIAL WORK WHAT SO EVER!!!! Everyday I went to this class is was like pulling teeth! You either agree with him or your wrong. He is making me change my major b/c I can't take having another class with him!

6/20/10

SWK300

Although the material for the class itself is not difficult at all, he is easily the worst professor I've ever had. Everything is based entierly on his opinion and he refuses to clarify anything (including test questions) or to have any sort of discussion that differs from his own opinion.

6/9/10

SocWk300

He is the absolute worst professor I've ever had. Although the class wasn't too hard if you kept up with the work, exam questions were confusing and he refused to clarify. When I questioned him about my scantron grade, he said there was no way the machine was wrong and wouldn't even look over it. AVOID HIS CLASSES!!!!

6/8/10

SW300

Worst class I've ever taken. Lectures are based solely on his opinion and general misinformation. He includes about 5% of what will be on exams in them. The rest of the material on exams is up to you to decide what he will ask. I literally read everything on the syllabus for exams and still did not do well. BTW, my GPA is 3.8 before this class

5/28/10

SWK300

Class is mandatory at 15% of your grade, in class he reads a Word Document displayed on the projector verbatim. His lectures are mostly opinion-based and are full of misinformation. The tests (2 exams & the final) are multiple choice on a scantron and there is one research paper in which he only allows in-text sources from the library.

3/30/10

SocWk300

Don't listen to the negative people on here. Just do the reading...focus on main points and vocabulary..and I guarantee a 'B' or better on the test. His paper was very simple...and it's a good part of the final grade. Funny guy..and real about issues. I suggest taking him.

3/4/10

sw300

He seems tough at first, but if you read the book and do the work you are fine. He is not the most helpful if you try to ask him questions, unless they are about his research, but its a fairly interesting class.

2/11/10

sw300

I know everyone gave him a bad grade but I don't really know why. He is dry but his tests arent hard if you read the book. Most of the questions on tests are written by the book. He may look tough but he is fair and I found him funny at times.

2/8/10

SWK300

did not teach well and talked about personal life often. We did watch interesting movies though

10/17/09

SWK300

He is dry, not very personable and is condecending. Do not recommend. He is the only professor at OSU that teaches SWK 300 so heads up. It is quite clear he'd rather to research than teach.

8/26/09

SW300

It seems like he was trying to trick us with his exams. It was about us learning, but more about him marking us wrong.

8/25/09

SW300

AVOID! No one should give this instructor a good review. I made the deans list every semester until I took his class. Don't even bother studying because his tests aren't over the key points of the text. He will pull out the most random obscure sentance to question you about. He is more interested in bad mouthing his co-workers than in teaching.

6/29/09

SWK300

My biggest problem with Dr. Alexander was the fact that basically every topic he discussed somehow had to do with race. It was very uncomfortable for me to listen to his rants about the political system/society in general. He is very bitter and really not interested in helping students excel in his class.

More Social Work professors at The Ohio State University