in Grand Valley State University that teach Philosophy Edit
at Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI
are you Charles R. Hogg?
12/20/2014
good
103 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A+
"Big time extra credit" "Skip class? You won't pass." "Get ready to read"

Rob is a great professor!! Concepts were just a little confusing and tough to grasp at first, but I payed attention in class, read the book, didn't give any excuses, and then it was the most fun, straight forward, and easiest class ever! I only took this class from curiosity, and it helps me distinguish people's invalid arguments in real life!

12/08/2014
good
PHI 103 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Would take again" "Inspirational"

Professor Hogg is a great. He genuinely cares about his students more than any other professor I've taken. logic is a language and he does a great job of teaching you something that you have no concept of. He treats you like an adult and lets you make your own decisions. Do the work, and it becomes easy.

12/07/2014
phy 103 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: B+
"Tests are tough" "Participation matters" "Skip class? You won't pass."

Hogg makes it seem if you do not do well in logic ,your whole life will be a failure. He does not lecture, he expects that you will teach yourself and just ask questions on confusing topics in class. I passed logic just fine, yet he made it much more confusing and difficult then it had to be. I would advise you too search for other professor's.

12/01/2014
103 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: C

He's a very nice man as far as being a person goes, but as a professor I wouldn't recommend him for Logic. I don't have much to compare to in the Philosophy department so take my word with a grain of salt, but your other option is Geometry. If you're one of the students who think Math isn't for you Logic is like learning a new language.

11/29/2014
103 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A
"Tough Grader" "Lectures are long" "Tests are tough"

I'm a 6 year senior and this is by far my least favorite professor out of all the schools I've attended. He's incredibly condescending. Everyone sits outside class and complains everyday. I witnessed an honest 40 something year old man pick up smoking after quitting for a decade because of his frustration from this Professor.

11/24/2014
103 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A
"Tests are tough" "Lectures are long" "Tough Grader"

According to Hogg, logic is the EASIEST and most applicable thing you'll ever learn -- it's all pooh bear and legos.

11/05/2014
103 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: C
"Lectures are long" "Tests are tough" "Skip class? You won't pass."

Prof. Hogg means well but for a 100 level class, it's outrageous. His phone is constantly going off, he tries to relate everything to a child like example, his tests are ridiculously difficult, it takes him forever to email back, and if you have trouble he says "study more". He's arrogant and doesn't care about his students success. Good luck.

10/14/2014
good
PHI 103 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A
"Inspirational" "Would take again" "There for you"

I think Robb is one of the BEST professor's at GVSU. He can come off harsh and tough at first but that is his way of pushing his students to improve because he cares. His stories are funny. I have never respected a professor as much as I respect this one. You have to work for it and try in his class but that's no different than real life.

04/23/2014
good
PHI 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Hogg is awesome, funny, and smart. He's very passionate about teaching, and intellectually stimulating. He's also a priest, which he talks about a lot (if that's an issue for you) but I feel that Dr. Hogg's class is a benefit for all!

04/15/2014
good
PHI 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

pretty good prof. Make you you pay attention to what he says in class

04/15/2014
good

He is a really sweet professor. For the nature of philosophy, he does a really good job explaining the material throughly, and while sometimes he may get sidetracked it serves as more of a com medic relief than anything else. Would recommend him for Philosophy 101 but make sure you make yourself known to him.

03/28/2014
PHI 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

This professor will seem great on the first day and I'm sure he is a great guy but he is a horrible professor. His emails are VERY condescending. The papers in class make it seem like it should be a 400 level class.

01/22/2014
PHI 103 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

If you're taking class with Hogg..slap yourself. Although he does go through material, he is useless in helping students, as well as ridicules them for not having answers to his questions 110% correct in a frustratingly calm and smarmy manner. Surely was not one of my favorite professors at GV.

12/06/2013
good
PHI 103 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I took logic with Prof Hogg and I was sadly mistaking when I thought the class would be easy. It was extremely difficult if you didn't follow his guidelines...which I learned was a bad idea. He is an intelligent man and knows his stuff. He is also very understanding and helpful. I recommend him to anyone!

11/15/2013
Phi 103 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This prof is not good. He doesn't teach well at all. He is mean when you ask a question. He think everyone should already know everything before coming to class. Tests are super hard. I WOULD'NT take a class with this guy EVER.

11/07/2013
PHI103 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

He is the type of professor that will not help you at all unless you come to him with specific questions. He expects too much from his students as far as making students teach themselves THEN helping if/when students are confused about the material.

08/13/2013
good
PHI 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Based from GRCC. I recommend this professor to anyone interested in philosophy. He's very helpful, considerate with his students. From GRCC, his class was easy, but not a cake-walk. Expect your opinions to be argued against too. Some think he's condescending, maybe, But give him a chance. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion. NEED MORE SPACE...

04/30/2013
PHI 102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I would not recommend taking him as a professor. I never felt comfortable speaking my opinion in class because if you did not agree with him, he would completely shoot down your ideas and he ALWAYS had to be right. I think he thinks too highly of himself. He is a very smart man, he just comes off as condescending.

04/30/2013
PHI 102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I personally could not stand him as a professor. I thought he was extremely pompous and condescending. He appeared nice and caring, but I felt that he was secretly being rude but in a way that came across as nice. His grading was on a whim so you never knew what your grade was and he never put anything on blackboard. I would not not take him again.

04/30/2013
PHI 102 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Just such a confusing prof. He was all over the place for grading journals, gave us virtually no rubric for the final paper, and just told stories every class that didn't help us learn anything about reading Aristotle. He is also very condescending and is rude about things.