Frederick Turner at University of Texas at Dallas

Frederick Turner

Number of ratings 11 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

4/9/14

LIT 3300

Prof. Turner is a very nice guy and really wants to see his students do well. This course was required for my major and requires A TON of reading (like Paradise Lost in a weekend) which can be daunting. Weekly essay quizzes over the reading and a final group project (no actual tests) and he is a pretty easy grader.

8/8/12

HUAS6350

Fred's poetry course followed the evolution of meter/form from early drinking songs and ballads through high Miltonian verse, and on into the moderns. I really enjoyed exercise of craft and a guided trek through poetic traditions. It's the only poetry class that spends time on the techne and history as part of writing practice. Not for weak pens!

8/8/12

husl6355

Ever class I've taken with Dr. Turner has changed the nature of my relationship to myself, the world at large, and my ability to mitigate the various threads sinuously threaded between. A genuine polymath, Turner pushes the bounds of his own subject areas, but more importantly he challenges the limits of interdisciplinarity. Take his class. Do it.

5/17/12

LIT3300

Professor Turner is a really nice guy and a good professor. He is exceptionally brilliant, and sometimes I admit, when he was teaching he went way over my head. He presents literature with a heavy dose of science. I found his class very enjoyable, and he is extremely likeable as well.

1/3/12

LIT3300

Wow! I am surprised by the bad comments I read about Prof. Turner. I learned a lot. I already read 1/2 of the required texts previously in h.s. or college, once I figured out what Prof. Turner wanted and expected on the quizzes it was a breeze. The group project (served as the final) was easy with plenty of time to complete, no midterm, no papers.

6/9/11

LIT3300

Dr. Turner is amazingly brilliant. A novel a week can be tough with a full time course load, but what you learn is worth it!

5/3/11

HUAS001

If you don't like the Socratic method I would suggest finding a different field than graduate school in the Arts & Humanities. A biology lab might be the place for you.

12/7/09

LIT3300

Prof. Turner is extremely interesting and knowledgeable. I didn't care for the Socratic style of discussion; participation was 50% of your grade and I wasn't comfortable speaking in front of everyone. However, it was an interesting class and covered a lot of literature I was familiar with, but had never read before.

2/8/09

HUSL6304

Fred is a great professor and a good man. He expects a lot of his students but marks generously. At the scientific end of the interdisciplinary spectrum, I think he knows more than he actually teaches his students, and some of his great ideas evaporate like leprechaun gold once you leave his class. Oh well--what do you expect from a poet?

11/15/06

HUAS6350

I agree that Prof. Turner is very knowledgeable. Nonetheless, just because he is very intelligent, that does not mean that he should teach. His skills would best serve somewhere where he can't destroy anyone's love for poetry. In addition, he does not respond to emails, nor does he return phone calls.

6/4/06

Huma

One of a dying breed: a Renaissance man, capable of connecting choas theory with catholic theology, economic theory with Shakespeare, and the literary epic with North Texas. Able to find beauty in a dried out Texan river-bed littered with beer cans.

More Humanities professors at University of Texas at Dallas