in University of Texas at Dallas that teach Humanities Edit
Frederick Turner
Professor in the Humanities department
at University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX
are you Frederick Turner?

04/09/2014
good
LIT 3300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Turner is a very nice guy and really wants to see his students do well. This course was required for my major and requires A TON of reading (like Paradise Lost in a weekend) which can be daunting. Weekly essay quizzes over the reading and a final group project (no actual tests) and he is a pretty easy grader.

08/08/2012
good
HUAS6350 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Fred's poetry course followed the evolution of meter/form from early drinking songs and ballads through high Miltonian verse, and on into the moderns. I really enjoyed exercise of craft and a guided trek through poetic traditions. It's the only poetry class that spends time on the techne and history as part of writing practice. Not for weak pens!

08/08/2012
good
husl6355 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Ever class I've taken with Dr. Turner has changed the nature of my relationship to myself, the world at large, and my ability to mitigate the various threads sinuously threaded between. A genuine polymath, Turner pushes the bounds of his own subject areas, but more importantly he challenges the limits of interdisciplinarity. Take his class. Do it.

05/17/2012
good
LIT3300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Professor Turner is a really nice guy and a good professor. He is exceptionally brilliant, and sometimes I admit, when he was teaching he went way over my head. He presents literature with a heavy dose of science. I found his class very enjoyable, and he is extremely likeable as well.

01/03/2012
good
LIT3300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Wow! I am surprised by the bad comments I read about Prof. Turner. I learned a lot. I already read 1/2 of the required texts previously in h.s. or college, once I figured out what Prof. Turner wanted and expected on the quizzes it was a breeze. The group project (served as the final) was easy with plenty of time to complete, no midterm, no papers.

06/09/2011
good

Dr. Turner is amazingly brilliant. A novel a week can be tough with a full time course load, but what you learn is worth it!

05/03/2011
good
HUAS001 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

If you don't like the Socratic method I would suggest finding a different field than graduate school in the Arts & Humanities. A biology lab might be the place for you.

12/07/2009
LIT3300 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Prof. Turner is extremely interesting and knowledgeable. I didn't care for the Socratic style of discussion; participation was 50% of your grade and I wasn't comfortable speaking in front of everyone. However, it was an interesting class and covered a lot of literature I was familiar with, but had never read before.

02/08/2009
good
HUSL6304 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Fred is a great professor and a good man. He expects a lot of his students but marks generously. At the scientific end of the interdisciplinary spectrum, I think he knows more than he actually teaches his students, and some of his great ideas evaporate like leprechaun gold once you leave his class. Oh well--what do you expect from a poet?

11/15/2006
HUAS6350 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

I agree that Prof. Turner is very knowledgeable. Nonetheless, just because he is very intelligent, that does not mean that he should teach. His skills would best serve somewhere where he can't destroy anyone's love for poetry. In addition, he does not respond to emails, nor does he return phone calls.