John Trenz at University of Pittsburgh

John Trenz

Number of ratings 19 / Average Grade:  A- Submit a correction

6/29/14

Grade ReceivedA-

The books that we read weren't that bad to read. We had to read close to 40 pages for each class though so you had to keep up with that. There was either a 1 page essay or 4+ page essay due each week. Trenz was confusing in class and made it kind of difficult to participate in class but overall he was a great teacher & I'd recommend him.

5/3/14

Grade ReceivedA-

I loved John! He was so helpful and I feel like my writing improved so much. There is a lot of writing to do though.

5/1/14

ENGCMP 0200

John is an awesome teacher!The class and books are really interesting, and john is very smart and helpful. The workload is a bit on the heavy side (which is expected of this course) but you will learn a lot along the way! Highly recommended!

3/30/14

ENGCOMP 0200

John is an overall great guy. I took his class last semester and he really changed my outlook on reading and writing. This class takes a lot of effort, it's not going to be easy. You have to work for your grade. John really helped curve my writing style and guided me in my essays by providing legitimate and thoughtful comments. Take his class!

12/17/13

GER 1548

John is a very nice person - very understanding, and pretty intelligent. LOTS of reading, but he teaches the course well. It's largely discussion-based. Sometimes hard to follow, though, but I'd take him again. Fav. John quote: "My dad said once I saw Flashdance, I quit Little League." (everyone laughs) "I didn't like getting hit by the ball!" XD

12/14/12

FILM0400

John is a great professor. Easy to talk to and the class is enjoyable and fun. Discussion is mandatory. The downside is that the readings are sometimes boring. Definitely would recommend and even take him again.

11/22/11

Engcp205

Really hard to understand and not clear at all. He has no idea what he is doing and that frustrated me.

11/7/11

ENG0205

Great professor! Definitely recommend! A little labor intensive but that's expected of this course. Discussion based classroom. Wouldn't say he picks favorites but does seem to value some students over others. Doesn't grade papers but puts comments on them. So, it's a little hard to tell where you stand in the class. Overall, great class.

1/12/11

ENGFL0400

nice guy, very helpful. but takes the class very seriously. as if we were all film majors. Class topics and structure was more fro the art side of film rather than some of the other sections that focused more on genre, etc. wrote plenty of papers. midterm and final. overall not a bad class, but could use reducing his amount of coursework

12/26/10

ENGCOMP

He definitely helped me become a better writer and is so willing to help!

12/14/10

comp0203

Very interesting class, will definitely broaden your thinking and writing abilities. Interesting selection of movies to watch, John is extremely willing to help and is very nice and intelligent. I highly recommend him for comp in film! you watch a movie weekly, and have a one page paper due weekly on it, and 4 4pg+ essays

3/16/07

englt200

Great prof. Not nearly as anal and hippy-ish as other english teachers. Very flexible and fair with grading and turning in assignments late within reason. Highly reccommended.

11/10/06

ENCMP0205

I'm sick of everyone rambling on how awesome he is. A good grader who helps you with your work for the most part. He plays favorites and easily divides the class in half by the second part of the course. The discussions are forced and sometimes wonder if he even is listening.

10/18/06

engcm0205

John is awesome. He's a lot of fun. The movies are a lot fun. The writing is tiresome and repetitive. It is sometimes hard to decipher through his rambling (and his handwriting sucks). Lectures are a bore. He's very helpful. Nice dresser. VERY hot. Fun to joke around with. Very easy grade. You don't have to read Doherty ever. BEST comp class option

7/5/06

ENGCMP: Film

John is fun and considerate and very understanding with any questions or time limitations. The class is easy if you just watch the movies and do your work. He encourages you to be creative and twist his assignments in any way, so have fun with it.

7/5/06

Eng. Comp: Film

I enjoyed the class, way better than some of the other English Comp. professors I've heard about. Keeps it semi-interesting, although discussion is forced some of the time. Some of the films/topics were also a little strange. Very nice, very understanding to difficult circumstances. Overall, assignments were definately manageable.

4/1/06

eng comp

he is a nice guy and intelligent. sometimes hard to follow, but overall a good teacher. worth listening to.

12/25/05

eng cmp

He's a nice guy and a farirly lenient grader. I never did the reading he assighned cause their meaningless and not related. and i got an A. The class was boring and there are 3 4-6 page papers and about 10 easy graded 1-2 page papers. Class is pretty easy, pretty boring, and he's still easy on you if youre like me and never participate.

12/4/05

ENGCMP0205

A nice guy, but I didn't enjoy the class. I didn't have the books, nor did I ever do the assigned readings, and I did fine. We wrote about a dozen short responses (easy), and three big papers. John is a pretty lenient grader and will work with you. I did get something out of the course, even if I didn't really like it.

More English professors at University of Pittsburgh