Joan Gearns at Grand Rapids Community College

Joan Gearns

Number of ratings 65 / Average Grade:  C+ Submit a correction

5/4/14

en101

Her expectations are extremely high. She HATES clich├ęs and will tear your papers apart because of it. She is very sassy and isn't afraid to sass you up. Expects way to much for a en101 class. TAKE SOMEONE ELSE!

2/24/14

EN101

Don't take her class. She isn't clear on what she wants out of you and will only grade you on what she prefers. Dreaded going to her class every morning.

12/7/13

EN101

Absolute worst English prof. ever. Avoid taking her class at all costs. Not helpful at all. Terrible grader. DO NOT TAKE. Drop her class if you have her.

12/4/13

EN 101

The entire class is based on what she prefers when it comes to writing, not what is actually correct and proper writing. Took it because she was the only one teaching Honors but if there's someone else, definitely choose the other person. You don't learn anything but what Gearns does and doesn't like in this class.

11/12/13

EN 240

Joan was helpful, clear, and precise. She was an incredibly tough grader, but I grew as a writer more in one semester than I ever thought possible. She is tough, but she is genuine and passionate-- something many instructors lack. She pushes her students to do their absolute best and many of them, if they do the WORK, improve greatly.

4/30/13

EN101

I did not care much for this teacher. She was not very clear and graded harshly for no good reason. She could be nice at times...but most the time she was mostly just blahhh about everything.

12/13/12

EN101

Tough-as-nails prof. with very rigid guidelines. If you take the time to talk to her about your work, she is very helpful. To do well in this class, you must actually improve as a writer. A very tough teacher when it comes to critiquing writing, but sometimes one needs to be pushed to make progress. Absolutely a hard class, but very rewarding.

12/11/12

EN101

Had her for Honors English 101. I loved English SO much before I took her class. SHE IS TERRIBLE. She made me feel horrible about myself as a person and my writing. She is extremely unhelpful, and treated me like dirt. Normally, all of my teachers love me. I've never worked so hard to receive terrible grades on my writing.

8/10/12

EN101

Worst professor ever! if you have her class drop it right away! Loved english until i had her as a professor she is the toughest grader and when you ask what you did wrong she tells you to look in the book.

5/1/12

EN101

I worked my butt of in this class and got good grades on all my work. I only missed my homework one time and it was the second day because i didn't have my book yet, And I only missed one class because I was in the hospital. The lowest grade I received in this class was a C+ on a paper so how would I end up with a C in the class?! dont get it.

12/2/11

EN101

Although she plays great music, what she expects from you is not clear. I did well based on the fact I know how to fill up space on a page. My papers where by no means a well written, simply dull and factual. If you are a creative writer, this class is not helpful. If you are good at stating facts, this class will work well for you.

12/1/11

Engli101

Don't take her. I loved writing before her class and she's made me hate it. I never understood what she wanted...She's not clear. She always gave me a C in every paper. She's a really nice lady with amazing taste in music but that's about it.

11/3/11

En101

A great professor, and a great person.

5/26/11

EN101

I could never figure out what she wanted for any of her papers. It didnt seem to matter what i put into my papers I always ended up with a C. I would avoid her at all costs.

5/5/11

EN101

She was the worst teacher that I have ever had. I spent over 6 hours with several English tutors, making sure that my paper was perfect and she gave me an E!! Drop the class ASAP she is terrible and I wish that I would have looked on this website before taking her class.

4/19/11

EN101

Not at all an entry level class! She isn't so helpful and her assignments say one thing and she grades on another. I got a D on a paper because she said it was "similar" to an example we went over in class (we didn't even talk about any example like my paper!) I ended up with an A, but I have no clue how. I definately worked my butt off for it.

1/10/11

EN101

I took her Honors EN 101 class. I still have not figured out what she wants. She shot down every idea I had for a paper and my grades clearly reflected her opinions. It was mathematically impossible for me to end up with an A in the class but that's what she gave me. She is a great professor, just come prepared to class.

1/4/11

EN101

Before you avoid this teacher after all of these repetitive comments, read this. Firstly, she has everybody free write from the first class, she'll be honest; tells you if you should take EN97. She believes in COMPOSITION... Which is what the class is. 3 chances to improve paper. Take her if u want to be a better writer. Best Prfsr I've had.

12/21/10

En102

horrible teacher, I had to write a paper on opposites and she wrote on my paper that liberal and conservatives were not opposite... she is very very liberal and contradicts everything she says that relates to english.

12/16/10

EN101

Not a good teacher at all. Contradicts everything. Would recommend switching out if you're in her class.

More English professors at Grand Rapids Community College