in Grand Rapids Community College that teach English Edit
at Grand Rapids Community College, Grand Rapids, MI
are you Joan Gearns?
B
10/29/2014
en101 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: Not sure yet
"Skip class? You won't pass." "Papers? More like novels" "Tough Grader"

She is the worst professor I've ever had. I always got A's in my English classes until I met her. She isn't specific as to what she wants on her papers. No matter how hard I try or have others correct my papers I always get C's or D's. DO NOT TAKE HER!!! RUN AWAY!!!

10/22/2014
HEN 101 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: Not sure yet
"Tough Grader" "Gives good feedback" "Participation matters"

Professor Gearns is really hard to get used to at first. She is a really tough grader, and she knows exactly what she wants. I found myself not actually writing about what I wanted because I knew she wouldn't like it and then rip it apart. But she does really work to improve the quality of people's writing, which is nice. But she is way too picky.

10/08/2014
EN101 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: B
"Tough Grader" "Skip class? You won't pass." "Participation matters"

I've been a semi-decent writer for a long time, in my opinion. In previous teachers opinions I am an excellent write. Whatever. So I wasn't worried about this class. Easy A. Or so I thought. I don't want to badmouth Prof. Gearns, but I wouldn't reccomend her to anyone. I put a lot of effort into that class only to receive a B.

08/22/2014
good
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: B

Her Honors class was the only Eng class available in my schedule.I'm glad I was challenged.I found her helpful when I needed it.Loved the free writing and being critiqued by other students. She has pet peeves about certain words NOT to use and it turned into a good habit for me.I was surprised I got a B. Don't procrastinate the assignments.

05/04/2014
en101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Her expectations are extremely high. She HATES clichés and will tear your papers apart because of it. She is very sassy and isn't afraid to sass you up. Expects way to much for a en101 class. TAKE SOMEONE ELSE!

02/24/2014
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Don't take her class. She isn't clear on what she wants out of you and will only grade you on what she prefers. Dreaded going to her class every morning.

12/07/2013
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Absolute worst English prof. ever. Avoid taking her class at all costs. Not helpful at all. Terrible grader. DO NOT TAKE. Drop her class if you have her.

12/04/2013
EN 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

The entire class is based on what she prefers when it comes to writing, not what is actually correct and proper writing. Took it because she was the only one teaching Honors but if there's someone else, definitely choose the other person. You don't learn anything but what Gearns does and doesn't like in this class.

11/12/2013
good
EN 240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Joan was helpful, clear, and precise. She was an incredibly tough grader, but I grew as a writer more in one semester than I ever thought possible. She is tough, but she is genuine and passionate-- something many instructors lack. She pushes her students to do their absolute best and many of them, if they do the WORK, improve greatly.

04/30/2013
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I did not care much for this teacher. She was not very clear and graded harshly for no good reason. She could be nice at times...but most the time she was mostly just blahhh about everything.

12/13/2012
good
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Tough-as-nails prof. with very rigid guidelines. If you take the time to talk to her about your work, she is very helpful. To do well in this class, you must actually improve as a writer. A very tough teacher when it comes to critiquing writing, but sometimes one needs to be pushed to make progress. Absolutely a hard class, but very rewarding.

12/11/2012
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Had her for Honors English 101. I loved English SO much before I took her class. SHE IS TERRIBLE. She made me feel horrible about myself as a person and my writing. She is extremely unhelpful, and treated me like dirt. Normally, all of my teachers love me. I've never worked so hard to receive terrible grades on my writing.

08/10/2012
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Worst professor ever! if you have her class drop it right away! Loved english until i had her as a professor she is the toughest grader and when you ask what you did wrong she tells you to look in the book.

05/01/2012
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I worked my butt of in this class and got good grades on all my work. I only missed my homework one time and it was the second day because i didn't have my book yet, And I only missed one class because I was in the hospital. The lowest grade I received in this class was a C+ on a paper so how would I end up with a C in the class?! dont get it.

12/02/2011
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Although she plays great music, what she expects from you is not clear. I did well based on the fact I know how to fill up space on a page. My papers where by no means a well written, simply dull and factual. If you are a creative writer, this class is not helpful. If you are good at stating facts, this class will work well for you.

12/01/2011
Engli101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Don't take her. I loved writing before her class and she's made me hate it. I never understood what she wanted...She's not clear. She always gave me a C in every paper. She's a really nice lady with amazing taste in music but that's about it.

11/03/2011
good
En101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

A great professor, and a great person.

05/26/2011
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I could never figure out what she wanted for any of her papers. It didnt seem to matter what i put into my papers I always ended up with a C. I would avoid her at all costs.

05/05/2011

She was the worst teacher that I have ever had. I spent over 6 hours with several English tutors, making sure that my paper was perfect and she gave me an E!! Drop the class ASAP she is terrible and I wish that I would have looked on this website before taking her class.

04/19/2011
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Not at all an entry level class! She isn't so helpful and her assignments say one thing and she grades on another. I got a D on a paper because she said it was "similar" to an example we went over in class (we didn't even talk about any example like my paper!) I ended up with an A, but I have no clue how. I definately worked my butt off for it.