in Grand Rapids Community College that teach English Edit
are you Joan Gearns?
B

08/22/2014
good
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: B

Her Honors class was the only Eng class available in my schedule.I'm glad I was challenged.I found her helpful when I needed it.Loved the free writing and being critiqued by other students. She has pet peeves about certain words NOT to use and it turned into a good habit for me.I was surprised I got a B. Don't procrastinate the assignments.

05/04/2014
en101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Her expectations are extremely high. She HATES clichés and will tear your papers apart because of it. She is very sassy and isn't afraid to sass you up. Expects way to much for a en101 class. TAKE SOMEONE ELSE!

02/24/2014
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Don't take her class. She isn't clear on what she wants out of you and will only grade you on what she prefers. Dreaded going to her class every morning.

12/07/2013
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Absolute worst English prof. ever. Avoid taking her class at all costs. Not helpful at all. Terrible grader. DO NOT TAKE. Drop her class if you have her.

12/04/2013
EN 101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

The entire class is based on what she prefers when it comes to writing, not what is actually correct and proper writing. Took it because she was the only one teaching Honors but if there's someone else, definitely choose the other person. You don't learn anything but what Gearns does and doesn't like in this class.

11/12/2013
good
EN 240 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Joan was helpful, clear, and precise. She was an incredibly tough grader, but I grew as a writer more in one semester than I ever thought possible. She is tough, but she is genuine and passionate-- something many instructors lack. She pushes her students to do their absolute best and many of them, if they do the WORK, improve greatly.

04/30/2013
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

I did not care much for this teacher. She was not very clear and graded harshly for no good reason. She could be nice at times...but most the time she was mostly just blahhh about everything.

12/13/2012
good
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Tough-as-nails prof. with very rigid guidelines. If you take the time to talk to her about your work, she is very helpful. To do well in this class, you must actually improve as a writer. A very tough teacher when it comes to critiquing writing, but sometimes one needs to be pushed to make progress. Absolutely a hard class, but very rewarding.

12/11/2012
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Had her for Honors English 101. I loved English SO much before I took her class. SHE IS TERRIBLE. She made me feel horrible about myself as a person and my writing. She is extremely unhelpful, and treated me like dirt. Normally, all of my teachers love me. I've never worked so hard to receive terrible grades on my writing.

08/10/2012
EN101 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Worst professor ever! if you have her class drop it right away! Loved english until i had her as a professor she is the toughest grader and when you ask what you did wrong she tells you to look in the book.