Peter Dreier at Occidental College

Peter Dreier

Number of ratings 57 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

8/25/14

UEP301

Although he is a pretty good professor, his arrogance is out of control. He assigns far too much reading and only really cares about how many sources you cite in the papers, not their actual content. I did learn a lot in his class but he was so conceited that I couldn't bare to have another class with him ever again.

2/28/13

I wouldn't take another class from Dreier if my admission at Oxy depended on it! Workload is insane: I spent more time reading and writing for his class than I did my other three combined. Its like his entire purpose of being a professor is to indoctrinate all of his students with left wing ideals--I lost points on an essay for opposing socialism

4/2/12

UEP301

I have had him for four classes now. The amount of reading he assigns is ridiculous. It is way too much. His classes can be very dry, but he really makes you think about your opinions and why you have them. He pushes you to think really hard. As well, he is a pretty easy grader.

2/5/12

CSP69

I took this class excited about learning ways to channel my interests into a productivc life. Dreier changed my life - despite the fact that I provided evidence and carefully constructed arguements with evidence (he does not), he punished me for not agreeing with him with a bad grade. He is biased, vindictive and a liar. I am now pre-med.

11/5/11

CSPJobs

I took Dreier's CSP "Jobs and Justice: History of the Labor Movement in the United States" He is one of the most intelligent, informed professor's I have ever had. Made me love a subject I had never thought about before. I will be taking many more classes from him.

7/8/11

UEP301

He is the best politics professor at Oxy. Teaching method Socratic. Repeatedly asks hard questions to reveal ignorance or holes in your thinking. You must back up your opinions with solid evidence (something conservatives often have trouble with). He's very kind outside of class. A teacher's job isn't to make you "feel" good about yourself.

10/31/10

CSP65

Professor Dreier is definitely incredibly intelligent - in fact, he has one of the best grasp of the facts of any professor I've had in my time at Occidental. But that mastery is lessened by his extreme, EXTREME, liberal bias. He holds grudges, and is pretty much the sum of all the bad personality traits that a professor could have.

10/12/10

PSB

He is a doctrinaire and biased political advocate, not a balanced and disinterested scholar. Reading lists reflect his bias. Easy grader, unless you challenge his political views.

8/25/10

POLIIntr

Dreier seems like he wants to bring the Soviet Union to LA. He hates and feuds with almost everyone who does not want to give up freedom, their car or own a home. He is Mr. Grumpy and seems to not understand what fun is. He wants us to listen to the commie Weavers from the 1950's about how horrible America is. Dr. Dreier is a troubled man. SAD!

3/1/10

CSP69

Professor Dreier is quite possibly one of the most intelligent people that I've ever met. He's an expert on Labor Unions, and when I say Expert, I mean it. He is, however, incredibly biased towards the liberal side. If you can see through it, don't mind it, or agree with it, then take this class. You'll learn a lot.

11/13/09

pol101

Dreier is extremely inconsistent. He lectures every class, and sometimes they will be very interesting - but most of the time they are dry. Bring your laptop! He'll grade your papers leniently if you include a lot of sources from the reading. Lots of work. Not a rewarding class. Think twice.

10/30/09

Econ210

Found to be too agenda oriented. Too much spin on current news and events.

4/18/09

UEP310

Hes long-winded and rambles on a lot in class. He is an EASY grader. Theres no reason to be intimidated by him. He just expects students to read the material and them talk about it in class. There is a lot of reading however. Come on time to class too.

3/30/09

POLS101

Be hesitant before signing up for Dreier's class. He is biased and intimidating. That being said, I learned a great deal in his class. He demands participation (will call on you arbitrarily) and assigns quite a bit of reading (200+ pages per week, usually). He also is quite moody. But in retrospect, it was a great class.

10/27/08

Pols101

Terrible terrible professor. He is more of a liberal propagandist than a politics professor. If you think conservatively at all, he will attack your points of view in class. He assigns outdated articles from the nation as reading. Theres about two or three hours of reading a class, when he'll barely touch on half of them.

8/8/08

UEP301

A smart man and good lecturer. Demands that his students participate in open discussions in readings and fully engages and opens minds. Great professor.

3/15/08

pol101

I am a ultra-right wing conservative, and the professor is not. But, he is totally cool and extremely open minded. I learned alot from his class. PS, I use to be an ultra-ultra right winger, but moderated my views because of this great man's teaching!!!!

12/25/07

POLS101

Great Professor!

12/6/06

Pol101

Dreier is definitely very left-biased and can be very full of himself at times. His moods are also very distinct (good mood means very good, but bad mood means very bad). Overall his class was only moderately difficult and I still learned a lot.

11/20/06

pols101

To put it simply, if you are a leftist, communist, Marxist, or cannot think for yourself, take Dreier's class, parrot him, an get an A. If you are an independent thinker, anywhere from moderate to Conservative politically, and want to speak with your own voice, avoid at all costs. If you question him or don't massage his ego, your grade is toast.

More Political Science professors at Occidental College