in San Francisco State University that teach English Edit
at San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
are you David Gill?
C

12/04/2014
20919 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Not Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A
"Tests? Not many"

I was so excited to take this course for GE, (science fiction that is), but that was a mistake. At least some of the books were good.

05/02/2014
good
ENG 214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: A

He was awesome! I failed English the semester before, and then got an A in his class. He totally revived my interest in writing, and taught me more than all my past English teachers combined. He's tough on his students, but that's just because he cares. If you can deal with his gruff persona, he'll be one of the best teachers you'll ever have.

01/28/2014
good
ENG214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I should have written this a while ago, but I didn't because I didnt realize what horrible teachers are out there and how great Prof. Gill is! He cares for his students and encourages them to care. Grades harder on the first write, but then you get a rewrite and he tells you exactly what you need to change. Take him!!!

01/10/2014
good
ENG214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Professor Gill is an amazing professor and REALLY cares about your success in the class. You don't need to attend every class, but he has quizzes at the beginning of most classes and gives a bonus 1/3 of a letter grade if you show up everyday. also lets you re do your essays for a higher grade. Great professor and really cool!

01/03/2014
good
ENG 214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

By far the best instructor I have ever had at SFSU. He is passionate about what he does and really cares about your progress. He stresses the importance of reading, which benefits the student because all of the readings are super interesting! We read Maltese Falcon, Fight Club, and some dystopia material! I LOVE Dr. Gill, TAKE THIS CLASS

12/19/2013
good
ENG214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Mr. Gill is a wonderful teacher. He is not the easiest when it comes to grading, but you will ACTUALLY learn something. If you go to his office hours and have actual humanly conversations with him, he is more than willing to help you out. He teaches both english and life lessons :] I recommend him!

12/17/2013
good
English 214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

He is the best English teacher at SFSU. He played songs for us to analyze and give as example, such as Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, and the R. Stones. His reading assignments were super interesting. He is super laid back. If you do all the assignments you will get a good grade. Take him, he's amazing!

12/09/2013
good
Eng 214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

The BEST English teacher I have ever had! Only three papers to write. He gives you a lot of room to write about what interests you. No textbook, but you have to buy and read The Maltese Falcon and Fight Club, then tests you on them. The tests were like 6 questions. Do the short readings that he assigns and do well on the test. Take this class!!

10/12/2013
good
ENG 114 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Professor Gill is an amazing instructor he is very passionate about writing and the material analyzed in his class is very interesting we relate a lot of it to pop culture and his attitude is always great he is always on time and respectful to everyone he is open minded and funny I recommend him to everyone GREAT teacher never a let down

07/12/2013
good
ENG 114 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Great teacher. Very passionate about writing and helping students develop their writing skills. Somewhat hard grader. Hw is simple, essays tough. I wouldn't say he's completely nice but he WILL help you improve your ability to explain and develop your arguments in essays. It's a "you will actually learn something" type of class.

01/16/2013
good
ENG214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Probably the best professor I've had thus far at SFSU. Gill helped improve my writing and even seek a greater interest in sci-fi-noir. He's open to any and all types of essays and encourages everyone to write about what they truly care about. Gill made me excited to come to class every day to discuss all of the enriching reading we do.

12/18/2012
good
ENG114 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

He is probably the most understanding and helpful English teacher I've ever had. The writing book he makes you read is AMAZING, so helpful, and not just a normal instruction manuel, really interesting! He helps you a lot, but he still makes you work for your grade. Take him if you're a really insecure writer, he'll help you!

12/11/2012
good
ENG214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

Gill is beyond awesome. Since his focus is creative writing, he's really open(if not demanding) to personal, creative, different non-structual essays :D it's the best, I learned how to actually write an interesting essay! He cares about the students actually understanding the material and having a creative outlet in their lives

12/03/2012
good
ENG114 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

David Gill is a awesome teacher! He wants everyone to do well in his class but makes you work for it. Only 4 essays and you get revisions on them! Go to his class everyday and you get a grade bump! Super helpful during office hours!

08/25/2012
good
Eng214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Cool guy that introduces you to some new/great material. Write 3/4 essays & take reading quizzes (yes you should actually do the reading). If you have perfect attendance he'll bump up your grade a bit at the end of the year. Gives good feedback if you go to his office. You'll get the most out of it if you show up & participate. Reasonable grader.

05/09/2012
good
eng214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Great teacher with a passion for teaching english. Gave me personal insight and advised me on more than english, i.e. my major. makes you work but worth it.

05/04/2012
good
ENG214 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Professor Gill is a very passionate guy, especially when it comes to literature. I know he cares deeply about the subject and about making his students better writers. Overall, I think he is a good teacher. However, he was often so overly enthusiastic about the material that he preferred to hear himself talk than listen to his students' opinions.

01/18/2012
good
ENG414 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Irritated I failed JEPET, I came to this class with a negative mindset. But it turned out professor Gill's class was life changing--from the book he assigned for us to read to the essay topics he assigned. If you want to become a better writer, take this class!

12/10/2011
good
ENG414 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Professor Gill is a great teacher. He is committed to helping you learn why the JPET should not define you as a writer. But he does put insight on why we did not pass. Make sure you go to class and do the work. The essays are not that bad. It is quality over quantity. I would recommend this guy. He will teach you to write a college essay.

12/02/2011
good

This class was extremely fun! Gill is a great english teacher. there are ilearn assignments but they arent difficult. read the handouts because they are on the quizzes. come to class because the discussions help you with your papers. work hard and you should get an A.