in Truman State University that teach Communication Disorders Edit
Professor in the Communication Disorders department
at Truman State University, Kirksville, MO
are you Janet Gooch?

07/29/2011
CMDSany Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Gooch is clearly very knowledgeable, but she does not excel at sharing her knowledge. Directions are often unclear and can change from day to day.

02/02/2011
good
CMDS200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Gooch is one of the most competent and challenging teachers I have met at Truman thus far. She wants you to think and analyze what you have learned, not just recite answers from a book. Although the class wasn't easy, I learned so much in this class which will give me a strong base in the rest of my studies.

12/21/2010
good
CMDS200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

This class taught me how to study. It was very hard, especially in comparison to intro taught by Andrea Richards (so I've heard) but, she's a great teacher; she's clear and concise, she doesn't mess around, she's helpful, and she pushes you. You'll have a firm foundation of communication disorders after this class.

05/01/2010
CMDS477 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Such a hard class! Gooch teaches you through intimidation and discouragement. Lectures were theatrical performances and tough to follow. Be careful asking valid questions, Gooch will still roll her eyes and look at you like you're an idiot. Avoid her at all costs and you'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary stress.

12/26/2009
good
JINS372 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I thought this was a good JINS class. it isn't offered every semester, but I really enjoyed it. Her class was Communication and the Face and I think the class was interesting if a bit tedious. We did more research on the subject than we were actually taught it class, but overall I think she is a good teacher, and she wants you to do well.

10/15/2008
good
CMDS200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Dr. Gooch has been my favorite Comm. Dis. professor so far. Her classes (especially intro) can be tough, but you learn a lot. Plus, you can tell she cares about her students and what she's teaching, so overall I'd say she's just a fantastic professor.

04/05/2007
good

Dr. Gooch is tough, but you learn a lot... she's pretty nice too, she cares about her students. I'm glad I had her for Intro, even if it was a stressful class.

03/15/2007

Very tough class, but she makes you learn! It was very interesting, but she doesn't lecture on the book. I would take notes on the chapters as a way to survive. Movies and essays were interesting to connect material, but essays were harshly graded. She will help and explain information if needed, an A is possible, just be prepared to work a lot!

03/13/2007

I was really excited to be a Comm Dis Major, but the Gooch turned me off from it. She grades so hard on the tests and by the middle of the semester she never lectured anymore, we just watched movies and wrote essays on them. I had a pretty bad grade the whole semester but the last test was reallllyy easy so I ended up with a pretty good grade.

12/31/2006
good

Dr. Gooch's class was exactly what I expected a college course to be like. She's tough but fair, and she really cares about her students. Some people didn't like her because she didn't tell us exactly what was going to be on the test, but that's probably becuase she wanted us to actually learn the matieral. I loved this class and learned a ton!

12/30/2006
good
CMDS261 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

I thought Dr. Gooch was a very good teacher. She explained everything very thoroughly, and if you studied you shouldn't have struggled with the tests. Her lectures were very useful to me, and I came out with a very high A in the class. Not only that, but I really enjoyed the class. I did not find her bad at all.

12/13/2006
CMDS200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

She expects you to read the textbook, which is fine, but then she throws unimportant facts on the (essay) tests and expects you to somehow remember it all. More time is spent watching the 5 movies & writing papers on them than listening to her, oh, I don't know, teach. She knows her stuff, she just doesn't want to teach at this level.

12/12/2006
good

I had Gooch for Phonetics and I really enjoyed her class. I actually switched my major to communication disorders just because of her and this course. There is a lot of practicing to do for this class, but homework isn't mandatory. I would recommendt his class for everyone.

11/12/2006

She seems nice at first, but watch out. She definitely plays favorites with the students. Gooch has said that it is not her job as a teacher to summarize the textbook for students; she doesn't lecture at all! Gives no hints as to what out of 150 pages of reading might appear on the test.

11/08/2006
CMDS200 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Meh Grade Received: N/A

Very hard teacher for the intro class. She has the highest expectations and you will have no idea what is on the exams because there is so much material to memorize. My friends and I spent hours studying to get D's and F's. We watch movies and write papers too which isn't too bad, but beware of tests.

10/25/2006
JINS372 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Interesting subject for JINS and I was excited to take it. The class itself mainly revolves around peer editing the 6 papers you write for the class (no tests), so you dont learn too much except for your outside research. She expects research for every paper even though sometimes all you are supposed to write is a reflection. GRADES HARD on papers