in John Jay College that teach Psychology Edit
Gabrielle Salfati
Professor in the Psychology department
at John Jay College, New York, NY
are you Gabrielle Salfati?
1.5

05/15/2014
PSY 749 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

If you have a soul do not take this class. She acts as if this class is the only thing going on in her students' lives. Her grading process is confusing. Way more work than any other class I've ever taken. Just save yourself and your GPA the trouble. Yes, it's an interesting topic. But trust me, it's not worth it.

01/08/2014
good
PSY 476 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

She is very demanding and her tests are tricky and challenging… She is extremely knowledgeable in her field with a great load of experience. I must admit I did learn a lot with her. Not recommended if you are looking for an easy A or B.

11/29/2013
PSY 746 Taken for Credit:No Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Great professor. Every in class meeting is great. The online part is difficult and unclear on occasion. You'll work your ass off. She'll meet with you to discuss ways to help, but you leave the meeting questioning why you ever wanted to go into forensic psych in the first place. Has a nice way of dream crushing and building you back up.

11/28/2013
good
PSY746 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

For this class you need to work HARD! Period! She makes it clear from day one. And repeatedly after that until it is too late to drop the class. After that, if you are still in the class it's by your own volition so stop the whining! Personally I have learned a lot in this class. Never regret taking it!

11/15/2013
good
psych 475 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Best professor I have ever had. I am so surprised by the other comments she is the nicest and most interesting professor I have ever met. I felt like all of the other comments were meant for someone else because I can't even picture half of those things. She is extremely knowledgeable, kind, interesting, and helpful. She really great!

10/17/2013
PSY 746 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

Horrible Professor, I probably took the class with the student who is listed below me b/c the same things is happening this semester. When I ask her a question via email she answers very rudely and tells me to refer to the rubric, which doesnt answer my question to begin w/. Unless you never have any questions, avoid her like the plague. HORRIBLE!!

10/13/2013
psy746 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: Mandatory Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

I never commented on a teacher b4 but this is by far my worst experience with a teacher. She is confusing and mean. For a particular assignment most of the class was confused as to her grading rubric. How did she respond? She added an extra assignment in which we had to grade other students papers. Stay away from her and any of her classes!

04/20/2013
good
psy746 Taken for Credit:Yes Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Essential to passing Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

class is very difficult and challenging as a graduate level class should be so do not expect to not work hard. It is laid out very clearly what she wants. A lot of writing, reading articles, and critical thinking. However, hands down the best class I have taken thus far. Not a class for slackers, you must keep up and think to get a good grade.

01/24/2013
PSYC01 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: Low Grade Received: N/A

This class really did make me aware of limitations in the field and it was informative.The material in this course is subjective but yet accuracy was requested 100%. However grading is subjective, the readings you had to find them yourself, the BB posting were ridiculous!! DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS UNLESS YOU HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO SPARE!!!

01/18/2013
PSY746 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Really into it Grade Received: N/A

Class was extremely confusing. No definitive answers about profiling; a course about asking tons of questions. Grading was ridiculous, even when you put in so much effort you would get a low grade. She is not clear about what she wants and the course is not what I expected,Never taking a course with her again!

12/15/2012
PSY746 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: Barely cracked it open Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Everything in the class is about theory, history of profiling & empirical testing. The information on theories she provides is good and useful. I wish she had taken the criticisms of subjective methodologies and applied it to her grading. Grades were very subjective and unclear and the online forums are not as fun or interesting as she thinks.

03/08/2012
PSY746 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: It's a must have Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

For a class that is supposed to be based on empirical evidence and objective factors, the guidelines and grading criteria were completely subjective, not to mention ambiguous and poorly explained. The combination of Dr Salfati's teaching style and the class being half online made getting help close to impossible.Class was not worth the aggravation!

07/17/2011
good
PSY746 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Hands down the most challenging course I have ever taken, but also very rewarding. Explanations were clear - the field is still very new and, therefore, theory based. Students who presented alternate view points that were properly backed up methodologically were encouraged.

05/23/2011

1st grade:online midterm exam, 5short ans ?s you were not able to recheck the ans.Make-up exam, its been a month 1/2 & still no grade 4that. Assignments all essays,feedback is general for the class, no personal feedback.Group presentation was easy as long as u work hard, but still no grade for that either.Grading is purely subjective. HORRIBLE

04/06/2011
ProfMeth Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: Sorta interested Grade Received: N/A

TERRIBLE. Has crazy expectations and isn't clear at all and is very rude and nasty when you don't understand her. This class is all theory and is not what you would expect, i highly suggest NOT taking this class, worst mistake I ever made.

05/14/2007
good
PSY821 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: What textbook? Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A

Best!

04/12/2007
good
PSY821 Taken for Credit:N/A Attendance: N/A Textbook Use: You need it sometimes Rater Interest: It's my life Grade Received: N/A