Ewa Miernowska at University of Wisconsin - Madison

Number of ratings 23 / Average Grade:  D Submit a correction

12/11/13

F322

Grade ReceivedD

Absolute worst professor I've ever had. She is spiteful. She is not understanding and will criticize you for not being a literary expert even for those who have no prior experience and expects you to come in knowing everything (not a teacher mentality). I had family problems all semester and she said I deserved to fail because I was making it up

11/13/13

Slavic 301

One of the most passionate teachers I have seen in my life. Makes learning so much more fun! She will make you work extremely hard but you will learn more than you believed possible in one semester.

6/5/13

FR322

So mean! So so mean!! She's very nice as a person, but very strict in class and will make you feel highly inadequate if you don't consistently do your work. Definitely the hardest grader I've had for French. Grades essays, tests, AND HOMEWORK heavilyyy on grammar, unlike the other teachers who care more about whether you absorbed the content well.

5/27/13

FR322

She's kind of intense at first and things might seem overwhelming but everything calms down after a few weeks. You MUST know your grammar otherwise you're screwed for essays! She'll pick on people so do the readings! otherwise, great teacher and overall a fun class!

4/17/13

FRE 322

Pros: you will be challenged, and if you do the reading, you're able to participate. (Participation/attendance = 30% of grade) Cons: If she doesn't like you or calls on you and you don't have an answer... beware. VERY tough grader on TESTS. Grammar = KEY! Challenging, but sometimes is overboard.

11/27/12

FREN321

She is very strict but if you do the homework and participate you'll do fine. Her grading is really tough and it takes some getting used to. Lots of reading but never anything too difficult

11/3/11

SLAV277

As a freshman, I had no transition from high school to college with her.. But she's wonderful. She reminds me of one of my Polish aunts. I adore her and love the class, because it reminds me of home. Definitely taking as many semesters with her as possible.

9/14/11

slav207

Very hard class, moves quickly and homework is graded on accuracy, but other than that you are guaranteed to learn polish. She knows what she is doing.

12/9/10

SLAVI277

Great teacher. Very passionate about her work, does her best to help you understand material. Expects you to put in an effort, and rewards you for doing so. Tells you exactly what is expected and you learn a lot, but its totally interesting. One of my favorite teachers on campus. Would recommend her to anyone who wants to learn the language.

10/24/10

FREN322

Previously majored in French, came back for a refresher. Much tougher than the professors at my undergrad, but very passionate about the subject.

10/22/10

Slavi277

Pani Ewa is one of the strictest teachers I've ever had. That being said, she is very happy and always making little jokes in class, and is an excellent teacher. I've learned more from her than any other language teacher I've ever had.

2/19/10

Slav301

I learned more polish in 1 semester than I did french in 5 years before college. She teaches you the language very effectively, but expect to work a lot at it. I was in ochem and biocore at the same time as this, and I worked more on polish than the other two put together. intense but worth it

11/15/09

Polsh301

She is the best teacher I have ever had. Everything everyone has said is very true. If you want to learn polish quickly and very well take the honors intensive intro I have taken 5 years of spanish and i speak it very well, after one semester with Professor Miernowska i would say i speak Polish just as well as Spanish.

11/4/09

FR322

First and foremost: intimidating. Work hard and respect her and you'll be fine. Be a smart ass or show up late - you will be chewed out. Despite how scared I was sometimes...I never missed class, worked extremely hard, and learned so much. She did what a teacher is supposed to do - make you significantly better.

5/4/09

FR271

She is my favorite professor on campus. At first she's pretty intimidating because she makes you come out of your comfort zone to speak French. However, over the course of the semesteryou grow to be really comfortable with her; she's super personable and she knows her stuff! Also, you get so much better at French.

4/16/09

FRENC322

She is amazing! I was really intimidated when i first had her for 271 but you will learn so much. She's demanding and very honest, which sometimes is necessary to do your best :)

12/31/08

Slavi271

Improved alot

10/21/08

SLAVI332

Cares very much about her students. Notice that she already a prof of French so I believe she teaches Polish out of passion and maybe patriotic duty. She bases your grade on your individual improvement, so if you put in hard work you'll earn a good grade. Small class size. Highly recommended.

4/16/08

SLAV208

My favorite professor at the university thus far. She's very energetic and really pushes you to learn the material. She's blunt, but don't be offended - it's just her way of pushing you. Be prepared to work, but learn a great deal as well.

1/22/08

FR228

Miernowska was a very difficult teacher and gives out extreme amounts of homework. I enjoyed French until I had her as a professor. I feel like I learned more in 204 with a TA who was nice.

More Languages professors at University of Wisconsin - Madison