Zimou Tan at Academy of Art University

Zimou Tan

Number of ratings 18 / Average Grade:  N/A Submit a correction

5/3/13

FND112

Best. Teacher. Ever. Actively search for his advice and he'll give you all the resources you'll possibly ever need. Tough grader though.

11/16/11

ILL222

Z is the best teacher I've had. If you want to become a professional artist, get him as your teacher. He will break down everything in detail, and give you more homework than other teachers, but it will result in better work! He has a good sense of humor too

11/14/11

FND110

Really recommend this instructor, pushes you to produce results. Strict on grading but gives you 2nd chance to do assignments over. The process is very geometric, measuring and transferring angles. I had a hard time with that approach to drawing, often started pieces over 4-5 times. He's great that he will always give you help if you ask for it.

8/22/11

FND110

Hard, pushes you to the edge: but you will never learn more if you do your work. Best teacher I've had so far. is as hard to students as he is to himself. I had to redo the same drawing about 3 times (almost cried), but I've never learned so much in one class.If you're looking for easy, don't get him. If you're looking to improve, 100% recommended

3/28/11

FND110

Tough, but not as tough as Joko. He does expect a lot out of you, but as long as you pay attention you'll do fine. (Even if it is mostly C's.) I must be a masochist because I enjoyed his strict grading style. It makes you want to work all the harder.

12/28/10

AnalyForm

Excellent teacher! He is very challenging and at times hard to understand (accent) but he has a real knack for inspiring his students and giving wonderful criticism. One thing I really admired about him was that he held everyone to a professional standard. He can be harsh, but if you unplug your ears and listen, you will learn a great deal.

12/16/10

FND110

Z was a good teacher, & I admit I see a difference in my artwork, but he's not the best teacher i've ever had. He sometimes isn't very clear on how to do something and He does gloat sometimes, im not going to lie. He did help me,but he just needs to not expect such fast results from his students.

8/2/10

FND101

Amazing artist. Taught me so much

5/20/10

FND112

Z is probably one of the best teachers that I've had so far at my stay in AAU. He's encouraging, and despite his criticism being harsh, he points out the flaws as a way to help you learn and work from them so you can improve. I definitely recommend him.

11/30/09

FOND101

Z is such a great guy! I really look forward to his class and insight.

11/30/09

FOUND101

Z is one of the best teachers i've ever had. He never talks down to you but he's insanely talented. He wants everyone to do well and can really help you if you just ask him. He's really funny too :)

11/19/09

FND110

He was very arrogant, kept making us pick between classmates, bragged about how much money he made and how he quit for 'artistic freedom.' Heard him outright say someone 'sucked' in front of the class. Tells you art is about perfect accuracy then tells you you need to make it better than life and literally lie and make the shadows 'better'....

7/28/09

FND110

Z is one of the best teachers I've ever had. He definitely knows his stuff and tries his best to help others understand, willingly demonstrating things when words aren't enough or are unclear. And despite being a great artist he's also pretty humble. He continues to help me even though I'm no longer in his class, and will help any student who asks.

7/21/09

FND112

Z, as I call him, is a really nice person, and a very helpful teacher. I respect him a lot. A great artist, I enjoy a lot of his work. I don't really see how he shows off his work, I see it as him just inspiring his students. He motivated me to keep drawing, and although I am not his student anymore, he is willing to take time to give advice.

6/5/09

FND110

he is very good, not the best one, though, i said, he lied a lot. he likes talking big, sees himself as a really great artist, loves showing off. he does helps a lot, taking his class is very chalenging, however, in foundation department, there's a lot more better teacher than him in the academy.

11/6/07

FND110

A lot of people think he's a jerk, but he's not. He just expects you to do your work. Awesome teacher though.

8/25/07

FND110

Larry is an amazing artist. He does his best to teach and help his students, but it is true he can be difficult to understand. But overall, if you're willing to learn he is more than glad to help you out. He's a really nice guy.

12/27/06

FND113

Larry has a very thick accent that makes him hard to understand. He does know what he is talking about but he doesnt communicate it well. I did learn some new tips and improved my drawing skills a bit, but others in the class struggled. Some people say they learned more from me than Larry. The days i missed (even excused) dropped my grade, so show.

More Illustration professors at Academy of Art University