Peter Lederer at Grossmont College

Peter Lederer

Number of ratings 43 / Average Grade:  A Submit a correction

6/5/14

ENG 124

Lederer suffers from anxiety, and that is evident in the way he randomly shuffles papers around during his lecture. hes extremely brilliant and encourages the class to think for themselves. LOVES to discuss deep issues. He completely changed the way i write, and I am very grateful to have taken his class. Tough grader. was surprised i got an A.

6/1/14

eng 124

Prof Lederer makes english interesting. We have to learn to write about a lot of different things but he wants us to think. Doesn't push all the same old ideas. We write about current issues, internet criticism and use our ideas to criticize. Diverse viewpoints are appreciated. Props to prof lederer.

5/4/14

ENG124

Great professor. Motivating, inspiring, controversial

5/4/14

ENG 1245

Knows his stuff. Very fair. Be sure to participate. Lederer goes into detail about everything--and I mean everything! Just don't say 'I think'. How you understand language will never be the same!

4/10/14

english 124

Wants us to think and make comparisons. Mixes old with the new and can relate to young students but still wants us to grow intellectually. Just pay attention, understand analytical writing and you'll do fine. The class moves quickly through lit and film and essays and news articles. Follow his guidelines and avoid fallacies.

3/9/14

Eng 124

Lederer is a great speaker and motivator and makes the subject interesting...he jumps from literature to culture and current events. Don't try to email him homework, but he is cool with checking your papers by email. His class is medium-hard because he'll catch mistakes you make, but he's open minded even when he pretends to play devil's advocate.

1/16/14

ENG 124

Pretty easy class if you just go and participate. He's real clear and the work is diverse. Cool guy. I got an A and am glad to be transferring now!

12/16/13

eng 124

Very fair. Go to class and pay attention. Ask questions and talk to him after class. He's really into his work and it shows. Just show you care and avoid being really emotional and vague in your writing and you'll get an A.

12/13/13

eng124

Checks attendance until drop deadline. Gives regular reading, morning writing or quizzes, discussion, followed with videos and debate. He's into art film, existential philosophy, political debates. Seems pretty passionate about his job.

12/11/13

english 124

We basically covered debates and criticism. He splits the course into being half literture/art/film, half nonfiction and essays. If you can talk and listen and understand basic reasoning you should pass. If you can't think for yourself class is probably not for you. He's pretty outspoken and honest. Argue with him after class for bonus points.

12/6/13

English 124

I found Lederer's class really useful, especially the propaganda techniques part. Different students act differently. I for one want to be tested and didn't have any problems when he pointed out I committed a fallacy. Enjoyed an honest teacher who didn't mind talking about anything.

12/5/13

Eng 124

I feel like you like his method or not. He's a bit unorganized and has to clarify prompts often. But the work is easy and I can see how some may find it interesting. The part that I did not feel comfortable with was his tendency to cut ppl off and single ppl out. His discussions are fun but there is no room for ppls opinions but his

12/4/13

ENG 124

Class is interesting enough. Lots of topics. Changed my way of thinking. If you like analyzing things take him. If you like honest, intelligent discussion the class is fun. Be ready to know the basics.

12/4/13

English 124

Lederer is pretty easy-going and fair but tough. He wants us to think clearly which is good because this is an argument class. He provides a lot of feedback. He expects good reasoning and watches for fallacies, which is good because I've learned to present stronger arguments after our conversations. Definitely not for closedminded students.

12/3/13

Eng 124

Not my style. Too much supplementary work like movies and handouts and not enough focus on writing skills. He talks about himself A LOT but is an easy grader if you show up to class. I just had a big problem with him cutting me off always and beating his opinions in everyone's memory. I thought this class would be fun but I was wrong

11/30/13

ENG124

Prof. Lederer's class is good prep for students who are transferring. It's not a beginning course. He uses a lot of different writings and documentaries, debates, etc. It's a good argument class with discussion. Hope SDSU has someone like him.

11/30/13

ugh we learned about art and philosophy which is fine but i was looking forward to learning about grammar and mechanics. we watched too many long movies and he talks about himself too much. workload is light but if you want to walk through an A without learning how to write take this class

11/28/13

ENG 124 2252

Lederer's class is for students who want to think for themselves. He challenges us to understand where our ideas come from. Quizzes are easy and he has us do journals but you can just use those for papers later on. If you are a philosophy major take his class. I learned a lot about logic that philosphy teachers never taught!

10/18/13

eng 120

he will give you pop quizzes and a lot of hand outs to read. he also wrote two books that are pretty banal and boring that are required for the class. he will cut you off and single you out in front of everyone. a few papers and some hw, nothing inspiring about his class. did not learn much from him and wish i has a different professor for this

7/2/13

ENG 124

He has a lot of discussion in class, all very thought provoking. I learned a lot about myself as a thinker and a writer and think Lederer is a great professor if you're willing to be alert and participate. He also has quite a few pop quizzes, so be sure to attend and have the material read.

More English professors at Grossmont College